Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD, and my first Jackson! 1987 Soloist red metal flake exc cond.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The non Floyd headstocks are shorter, hence even if a Floyd nut is fitted there's insufficient room for a standard sized trussrod cover. Then on a reverse head example, like this one, the logo is nearer the bridge, so that the cover is a little smaller the the frets on the net one, otherwise it would encroach on the logo. You'll have some cutting to do whatever type you choose.

Comment

Also, that spring configuration is just silly, it gives no benefits at all, so you should just put them all straight in positions 1, 2 and 3. I've seen it claimed that having two springs at one side, plus one at the other gives a different feel on the top vs bottom strings, but that's jusg plain stupid (the whole bridge moves after all)! I know a lot of people like a \l/ but if you blind test this, it feels no different to 3 in straight lines. Try it!

Comment

Yeah, I just changed it to 'V' configuration....

Question: I disassembled the FR, and put it back together after cleaning. Now I think the setup is different LOL...In the 'idle' position of the Floyd (no load), is the block supposed to be touching the wall of the cavity? (i.e., no way to move the trem bar up to get a sharp pitch, and can only achieve dive bombs...).

Sorry about the stupid question, this is my first FR equipped guitar, so I am learning as I go.

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
        Also, that spring configuration is just silly, it gives no benefits at all, so you should just put them all straight in positions 1, 2 and 3. I've seen it claimed that having two springs at one side, plus one at the other gives a different feel on the top vs bottom strings, but that's jusg plain stupid (the whole bridge moves after all)! I know a lot of people like a \l/ but if you blind test this, it feels no different to 3 in straight lines. Try it!

Comment

I'm in Nashville. I get home tomorrow. We'll need to hook up so that I can help you out, but it's going to be very busy for me until after Monday. Getting the house re-finance, whole house appraisal, need to clean, straighten out, etc. I'll have more time in a week or so. Until then, no playing with guitars for me (sad).

Comment

OK, well if anyone else can chime in...? Should be an easy question regarding the FR position .... thanks!

Comment

You can check out the manual for the trem (JT-6) on audiozone.dk, see tremolo info JT-6. These trems (or I shoudl say body cavity) are not routed/ set up for screaming pull ups on the unit as the block will hit the wood and the tuning screws will hit the top of guitar. Is the base plate paralell ish to the body when "no load" on trem, if not start there, but check the manual if stuck.

Comment

salmonella, thanks for the info. I will check. Yes the plate is almost parallel to the top of the guitar. The block however is definitely touching the inside of the cavity while in this position. I'm thinking that is a good thing, since it would help guarantee theta the trem will return exactly to its original position after a dive bomb... if the trem was just 'floating' there in neutral, then I can see how it may be difficult to return always to the same position. Makes sense?

Comment

I wired the original pup back in, and all is good. I have the coil tap configuration with the push pull... same as before, but with the original pup.

I think they sound similar, they are definitely not markedly different or anything... I'm keeping it stock, as it sounds great.

I have to say, I own 5 electrics, and have owned a few more in the past, and this has got to be the best sounding guitar of them all... it really sounds and feels better than any of my USA Gibsons (LP, SG, Explorer), and my Fender (Tele). Very impressed with what Jackson was building in the 80s. This is a keeper.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I'm pretty sure it's a Full Shred as well. Shiney bobbin tops, black allen heads. I have 4 Full Shreds (one zebra) so I know the look.

And don't buy into that "Jackson Pickups Suck" b.s. I have quite a few (old school USA ones) and like them a lot. And those singles are HIGHLY regarded. People forget that Fender's top winder Abigail Y. was laid off by Fender back in the 80s and worked at Jackson's pickup shop winding these pickups. Of course Fender nabbed her back and now she works Fender's custom shop.

Comment

Originally posted by gnolivos View Post
                    Yeah, I just changed it to 'V' configuration....

Question: I disassembled the FR, and put it back together after cleaning. Now I think the setup is different LOL...In the 'idle' position of the Floyd (no load), is the block supposed to be touching the wall of the cavity? (i.e., no way to move the trem bar up to get a sharp pitch, and can only achieve dive bombs...).

Sorry about the stupid question, this is my first FR equipped guitar, so I am learning as I go.
                    To answer this question, I have to ask if you messed with the height on the trem posts. It sounds like you lowered them for lower action. If you did not lower the posts, are the knife blades in the V channel on the trem post? There is a notch the blades fit into.

Posts some pics if you feel like it. A side shot would be best.

Comment

Actually I already solved this... I think you are right about the action, I did lower it a little... in the end, I simply unscrewed the metal claw out some so that the Floyd sat flat/parallel to the body of the guitar. This left the trem block 'floating' and not hitting any part of the cavity, which from my research, is the correct way to set it up.

I love this guitar. Thanks all for your help!

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      To answer this question, I have to ask if you messed with the height on the trem posts. It sounds like you lowered them for lower action. If you did not lower the posts, are the knife blades in the V channel on the trem post? There is a notch the blades fit into.

Posts some pics if you feel like it. A side shot would be best.
                      Last edited by gnolivos; 11-13-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

OK, cleaned her up, installed original pup, and the mandatory photoshoot ensues...

Jackson Soloist Canon S95 by flickristian, on Flickr

Last edited by gnolivos; 11-18-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Wow, shes a beauty. Congrats.

Comment

Oh my God, that's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X