SL2H volume knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H volume knob

Bought my first Soloist from a member here recently and was generally pleased, save for the placement of the volume knob. Though it's barely a quarter inch closer to the bridge pup than say, my DK1 or Kelly Std Pro, it seems that it's enough to get in the way of the trem arm when depressed. Anyone else notice this?
    Last edited by vector; 11-05-2010, 06:49 AM.

Yeah, it can be. I rarely dive the bar that far though, I'm more of a dip/wiggle kind of tremolo player.

Comment

Can you replace it with a taller trem bar/assembly?

Comment

If I had a nickel for every fricken volume knob placement thread...

Comment

If it's only a 1/4 inch in the way, using a smaller knob may do the trick. I've found the dome knobs that go on the top of a concentric pot to have a lower profile and still look like the originals (except they're smaller).
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            If I had a nickel for every fricken volume knob placement thread...
            You'd only have $.05... Nobody at all knew that Fricken even placed volume knobs till you mentioned it!!

Sorry DonP.... Bored at work...
            And Vector - I hate the volume knob placement on every Jackson.. But that's about all I hate about them..
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
              You'd only have $.05... Nobody at all knew that Fricken even placed volume knobs till you mentioned it!!

Sorry DonP.... Bored at work...
              And Vector - I hate the volume knob placement on every Jackson.. But that's about all I hate about them..
              Sorry too. I'm tired of hearing the same old complaints over and over. Time to find a new forum I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                Can you replace it with a taller trem bar/assembly?
                I suppose it's possible but I won't. Having played OFR's (or the Schaller equivalent) for 25+ yrs., ya kinda get used to the way they are set up. I owned a couple of axes with FR knock offs with the taller arm height (for a very short time-lol!) and it drove me crazy. Yeah, I know- it's my stupid hang up. I need to deal with it. Just curious if others experienced similar issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                  If it's only a 1/4 inch in the way, using a smaller knob may do the trick. I've found the dome knobs that go on the top of a concentric pot to have a lower profile and still look like the originals (except they're smaller).
                  Not a bad idea...

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    Yeah, it can be. I rarely dive the bar that far though, I'm more of a dip/wiggle kind of tremolo player.
                    My bad! I just noticed my post said deep dives. D'OH! But to be accurate, we're not talking just about deep dives with this- maybe a half step down and it's smacking the top of the knob. It's especially irritating when your doing a super quick dip and WHAM! I've flip flopped between the Vai school of trem bar antics and the less extreme, old-school metal varieties- deep dives, subtle and wide vibrato, etc. Having the right range of motion for the bar is kinda important to me in either case.
                    Last edited by vector; 11-05-2010, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Just to add my two cents:

This thread got me thinking about how I always hit the knob on my SL1 with the bar, but never my SL2H. I measured today, and the knob placement is a solid 5mm (or whatever the hell ridiculous fraction that is in inches) closer on my SL1. Such strange goings on.

Comment

You can also put the volume pot in the place where the tone is and either cut the tone out completely or put the tone in the volume pot place...
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

When I first saw the title to this thread I thought it was going to be about hitting the knob with your picking hand. I have many SL2Hs and SL1s and I never hit the knob with the trem arm. I also like the close placement to the pickup as it makes volume swells simple.
                          Trem arms are available with a bit different bend in them or you can bend the arm a bit in a vice (carefully) if that helps clearance.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                          X