NGD (DK1 Nebula Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD (DK1 Nebula Content)

Ever since playing my buddies DK2 I have felt that while I liked the playability of the Soloist over the Dinky I preferred the snap and feel of the bolt-on. Anyway I sold all my Japanese guitars and cruised around for a USA Dinky. I discovered this one on the Bay and probably overpaid ($1100 shipped) but I wanted it and its only money.

First impressions; I don't what all the fuss is with the EMGs. While they are tighter sounding then the JBs which I have the most experience with they don't seem to drive my amps any harder.

The neck is definitely thinner than the DK2. Just from feel I think it is thinner than my SL1. Hard to say without putting the dial calipers on it.

While the guitar came with all the case candy including the hang tag it definitely had been jacked with before. I don't think it every got played beyond sitting in the music store but it definitely got touched by a moron. Someone removed all the bridge saddles and put them back in the wrong order making the radius a rather amusing sight to behold.

I think the nut shelf was cut to low as it definitely required a shim. The original shim was a piece of paper some well meaning but clumsy tech shoved in there.

I think I may have to shim the neck as the I get quite a bit of buzz on the open E A D strings that goes away at the first fret. Looking down the neck gives the impression of a negative angle.

Anyway a few hours of tinkering produced a great playing and sounding guitar. Sorry for the bad pics but the flash died on my camera and I had to get creative with the light.

1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
    2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
    2008 Satin Black SL3
    2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
    2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Get some of the Allparts metal shims or cut up a soda can and raise the nut up a little if only the open strings are buzzing, but make sure it doesn't have a slight back-bow to the neck first.

Nice finish, and pretty good price if it's in good shape overall.

Comment

Sweet looking axe!

Comment

Yeah I shimmed the nut with a proper shim. It still a bit buzzy I am wondering if I need to double up with a real thin one and a thick one to get it right. Generally you can't hear it through the amp so I should probably just leave it alone. The guitar is mint no scratches or dings. The only issues were the afor mentioned. Thanks for the advice.
        1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
        2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
        2008 Satin Black SL3
        2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
        2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Congrats! Great looking guitar.

Comment

Working...
          X