No announcement yet.

# RR0202 83' RR Jackson USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the tuners I was going to go with the Schaller M6 Mini Locking Tuners. Great for restringing and no need to stretch the strings a 1/2 a dozen times or more. they are lighter and I'm thinking the smaller keys will be less hassle and won't get in the way from eachother. what do you think? good or bad I would love to hear your thoughts. Jacksons are awesome !!

I have the 18v. mod also. 1st I had to get the short shaft EMG active quick connect pots. And that was to be able to get 1 battery inside the cavity. Then for the 18v. mod I had to get rid of the Switchcraft right angle 3-way toggle switch and put in a new Switchcraft 3-way (short straight) toggle switch. Finding a quality short straight switchcraft toggle wasnt easy. After all that I was able to get 2 9v. batt. inside which doesnt fit easily. thinking about routing the back and putting a 18v. batt. holder because I hate changing the batteries its a bitch! But routing my Jackson sounds scary to me. Wondering what kind of difference it would make on the sound of the guitar. Alot of guitars have batt. holders and hey look at how much routing is done for a Floyd..

??
    Last edited by shredspillers; 12-02-2010, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shredspillers View Post
      As for the tuners I was going to go with the Schaller M6 Mini Locking Tuners. Great for restringing and no need to stretch the strings a 1/2 a dozen times or more. they are lighter and I'm thinking the smaller keys will be less hassle and won't get in the way from eachother. what do you think? good or bad I would love to hear your thoughts. Jacksons are awesome !!

I have the 18v. mod also. 1st I had to get the short shaft EMG active quick connect pots. And that was to be able to get 1 battery inside the cavity. Then for the 18v. mod I had to get rid of the Switchcraft right angle 3-way toggle switch and put in a new Switchcraft 3-way (short straight) toggle switch. Finding a quality short straight switchcraft toggle wasnt easy. After all that I was able to get 2 9v. batt. inside which doesnt fit easily. thinking about routing the back and putting a 18v. batt. holder because I hate changing the batteries its a bitch! But routing my Jackson sounds scary to me. Wondering what kind of difference it would make on the sound of the guitar. Alot of guitars have batt. holders and hey look at how much routing is done for a Floyd..

??
      Please Do Not Route, that will kill any value it has and there are better ways to do this,you may change your mind on EMGs in the future and then what?Plus how often do you need to change batteries anyway?

Comment

Fugg it - route that sucker out!!!

Some other options:

Do you use the other volume and tone pots? Can you get away with master volume and master tone? Losing a couple of pots will free up room. All you would then need is a new pickguard which are easy to find.

How about routing under the front of the pickguard for the batteries?
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

yea I think you are right and thank u for knocking some sense into the routing thing. Your right what if I change pups and use passive pups. I'm not used to the active pups having to unplug it after playing. But I've only left it pluged in a few times. I play every day sometimes at 2 or 3 different times in the day. I'm like most guitarists always wanting to get more out of our equipment. The search for the right sound its never ending. But hell yea!! I'm not going to rout my Jackson just to make it easier to hold 2 batteries. thanks

Comment

no I'm not going to rout for batt. holder. I never use the master tone pot though. Maybe I can tqke that out thats a great idea. I'll keep it in mind. But for now I'm just going to keep everything the same and deal with the room I have in there. Where would I rout under the pickguard? Make it a little bigger underneath the pickguard ALL THE WAY AROUND? to free up a little more room. That might work. Awesome thanks for the thoughts very much appreciated. I want to get rid of the gold hardware anyways and go with black knobs and black pickguard. this is awesome! thanks again.

Comment

Been wanting to get a JSX combo someday soon. And Guitar Center has a Peavey JSX head they want $699.00 for it. Seems kinda cheap though. I saw it last night and it looked in good shape. I had a LANEY AOR Pro Tube Lead 100w. with LANEY full stack cabs. It sounded good and the 3 push/pull EQ's especially when the bass boost is pulled very deep crunch. Needs alot of distortion to make it sound good. I had it for about 25yrs but sold the head a few yrs back. Using a Line 6 Spider 3 150 combo for a few yrs now and just not really happy with the sound especially when my BOSS GT-10 is hooked up to it, its just to much. Doesn't sound good. And the JSX is something I'm thinking about. seen alot of videos on youtube with the JSX woundering how it will sound with 1 of my old LANEY cabs with Boss GT-10 FX's board. Only one way to find out. thoughts??
              Last edited by shredspillers; 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

its a "kahler" san dimas.....there everywhere probably wouldn't hurt it to much to put a floyd on...lol.....j/k
                cool guitar....keep it all orig.

Comment

yea I know its a Kahler I would never rout it for a Floyd. But its a new Kahler 2315 with a brass cam and stainless steel rollers. The thing I like about Kahlers is you can adjust everything string height, string spacing, arm clutch for the bar, change different metals on the cam and rollers for a totally different sound. I use the 2315 brass cam and steel rollers the harmonics jump out of this thing and the tone is incredible. All the research I've done they have better tone than Floyds. When set-up right stays in tune really well. I can abuse this Kahler with out falling out of tune at all. I use Titanium Reinforced coated strings which also helps staying in tune. You also have to bend the string before the ball so the string sits right in ths saddle. If your using a Kahler these are a few things you can do to help stay in tune. I used to soldier the winding at the end of the string before the ball but now with these new Titanium Reinforced strings no need to soldier anymore. Now my old Kahler from the 80's is a different story.

Comment

Cool guitar! Is that a spacer between the Kahler and the body? If so, I'd imagine it came with it. What is it made of? Plastic?
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

yes its PVC plastic and it didnt come with one I got the specs from a website and made it myself.

Comment

I wouldn't make any permanent alterations to a San Dimas era Rhoads. The tuners really don't need to be changed to locking with the Kahler nut being locking anyway. Besides, you probably have the old style San Dimas era tuners which have the mounting tab at 90 degrees to the body of the tuner. New tuners will likely be in a different position and require re-drilling the mounting holes. Like I said, not something I'd do to an original San Dimas. Next is the pickguard. Some have suggested changing it to fit in the battery. But again be aware that the San Dimas RR pickguard has the mounting screw holes in a slightly different location than modern RRs. You could make your own plate or get one from fretsonthenet but as far as swapping in another one, I don't think it'll work. Like I said, change what you want but if I would make sure any changes are reversible. i.e. no Floyd conversions, drilling holes for new tuners, etc...
                        Cool Rhoads you got there!
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

shredspillers, I also forgot to mention that your Les Paul with Kahler looks great in those pix too. Is that one of the factory Kahlered LP's or did you add that? I've always wanted a Kahlered LP!
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                            I wouldn't make any permanent alterations to a San Dimas era Rhoads. .. but if I would make sure any changes are reversible. i.e. no Floyd conversions, drilling holes for new tuners, etc...
                            Hey Roody, what if changes were already done by previous owner? ie, my '84 Rhoads was a string through, now it's got a chrome Floyd. The V plate is still on there....
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, Ron, I suppose that would alter the orbital path of Pluto and Neptune, other than that, not much else...
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                                Hey Roody, what if changes were already done by previous owner? ie, my '84 Rhoads was a string through, now it's got a chrome Floyd. The V plate is still on there....
                                Not much you can do about past owner alterations. I recently bought a San Dimas era Rhoads form the classifieds that was already stripped down to bare wood so I had it custom painted by Mike Learn. however, if it was original I would have left it alone. When it comes to collectibility, original always rules, we all know that
                                Rudy
                                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                                X