# RR0202 83' RR Jackson USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
    I wouldn't make any permanent alterations to a San Dimas era Rhoads. The tuners really don't need to be changed to locking with the Kahler nut being locking anyway. Besides, you probably have the old style San Dimas era tuners which have the mounting tab at 90 degrees to the body of the tuner. New tuners will likely be in a different position and require re-drilling the mounting holes. Like I said, not something I'd do to an original San Dimas. Next is the pickguard. Some have suggested changing it to fit in the battery. But again be aware that the San Dimas RR pickguard has the mounting screw holes in a slightly different location than modern RRs. You could make your own plate or get one from fretsonthenet but as far as swapping in another one, I don't think it'll work. Like I said, change what you want but if I would make sure any changes are reversible. i.e. no Floyd conversions, drilling holes for new tuners, etc...
    Cool Rhoads you got there!
    thanks for the compliment. And thank you about the info on the pickguard I will probably just make my own. Its alot funner that way. As far as the Kahler that came with the guitar when I bought it. I'm sure the guitar came with a Kahler when it was new. But its funny how the Kahler was chrome though? when it had black tuners and gold pickguard and knobs. When you take the Kahler off and look at the routed cavity for the Kahler its a factorty job. Anyways I wasn't aware of the different holes for the tuners. I did put on some new black Schaller mini M6 locking tuners and left the original holes incase I ever want to go back to the original tuners. The Schallers almost cover the holes so you can't see them. I'm the 2nd owner of the RR USA Jackson. The guy I bought it from never played it. It was in the case and never came out. He didnt even know what he had. The 1st thing I looked at when I 1st saw it was the made in USA on head stock and the RR serial # and when I saw the #0202 I said wow I have to get this guitar. hahaha I did'nt even know when I bought it that it was the 1st batch of RR Jacksons made untill a few yrs ago. It was all original untill about 2 months ago. New PUP's - new Kahler 2315 Pro Series and now new Shaller mini locking tuners. Its a much better sounding guitar now.

Comment

shredspillers, I also forgot to mention that your Les Paul with Kahler looks great in those pix too. Is that one of the factory Kahlered LP's or did you add that? I've always wanted a Kahlered LP!
      thanks no its not a factory Kahler LP. I added that Kahler I'm thinking it was like between 83' to 85' somewhere in there can't remember. It was one of the very 1st Kahlers made. If I could go back in time I would of left the LP original. I'm going to get a new Kahler on there and get rid of that old Kahler. The Kahler I put on the Jackson I'm loving that thing more and more. And adding the locking tuners with the new Kahler I can literally abuse the hell out of that thing and its still stays in tune its really amazing. Just last night I finally finished making new spacers for that Jackson Kahler and now it sits higher so I can lower the saddles for less friction on the rollers for tuning stability. I got off topic there sorry I just love guitars.!! lol yea the strng lock on the Kahlered LP has 6 allen bolts 1 for each string. When I talked to Nick at the Kahler Factory he said my string lock was a demo version and only made very few of them. I love my LP.

Does'nt sound as good as the Jackson. But it plays like butter.

Comment

I wouldn't make any permanent alterations to a San Dimas era Rhoads. The tuners really don't need to be changed to locking with the Kahler nut being locking anyway. Besides, you probably have the old style San Dimas era tuners which have the mounting tab at 90 degrees to the body of the tuner. New tuners will likely be in a different position and require re-drilling the mounting holes. Like I said, not something I'd do to an original San Dimas. Next is the pickguard. Some have suggested changing it to fit in the battery. But again be aware that the San Dimas RR pickguard has the mounting screw holes in a slightly different location than modern RRs. You could make your own plate or get one from fretsonthenet but as far as swapping in another one, I don't think it'll work. Like I said, change what you want but if I would make sure any changes are reversible. i.e. no Floyd conversions, drilling holes for new tuners, etc...
        Cool Rhoads you got there!
        I don't have the (Kahler locking nut) Its a Kahler string lock. String lock is after the nut.. So locking tuners work really good with the string locks. Just adds more lock on the strings for sure!! I'm lovin it!!

Comment

wow that is sweet

Comment

Working...
          X