RR1T and KV2T questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1T and KV2T questions

Having never had the opportunity to try one out, what are the biggest differences between the 2 other than shape? I am going to treat myself to either of these when I return from Afghanistan.

Thanks

The KV2T is 24.75" scale unless you find one of the (very rare) 25.5" scale versions. That is IMO the biggest difference.

Comment

Thank You for the quick reply. I think all my guitars are 24.75 how does a 25.5 compare in terms of playabilty?

Comment

25.5" = Strats and most Jacksons, 24.75 = Gibsons.

For the same string gauge the shorter scale guitars will feel a little looser/more rubbery but you can go to a heavier string. The frets can get a little crowded up high if you have big fingers but there's not a dramatic difference in playability IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the info, now I know the Matt Tuck version is an Import, but is the qualtiy up there with the USA RR1T? I would ditch the EMG's for some passives, but I dig the rest of it(and not because of Matt Tuck or BFMV)

Comment

A RR1T is a fine instrument. That is your best choice. It is the quintessential Jackson and will hold it's value and only improve with age. Take care and God bless.

Comment

KV2T also has medium frets, not jumbos like the RR1 and everything else Jackson makes.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

IMHO, the biggest difference is going to be tone. The KV2T is all mahogany. The RR1T is maple neck w/alder body wings. Night and day.

Comment

Hello!

RR1T also has different pickups than the KV2T: the Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck...I forget what the KV2Ts have, but they are different...you'll probably want to swap them out either way....As the great folks here have mentioned, tonewood difference will be a big factor, so try before you buy....
                  Safe back home, and respect for your service!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                    KV2T also has medium frets, not jumbos like the RR1 and everything else Jackson makes.
                    The KV2 doesn't have jumbos, but the KV2T does.

Comment

Originally posted by Skizzwizz View Post
                      RR1T also has different pickups than the KV2T: the Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck...I forget what the KV2Ts have, but they are different...you'll probably want to swap them out either way....As the great folks here have mentioned, tonewood difference will be a big factor, so try before you buy....
                      Safe back home, and respect for your service!!!
                      The KV2T has the TB4/SH1 combo, i.e., '59 in the neck position.

Comment

Man Thanks for all the replies guys! So, Mahogany seems to be the prefered tonewood but is Alder not that good? I have been looking at these 2 guitars until my eyes bleed! I am not sure where or if anyone in Germany carries either model to give a test run on, so if somebody does let me know! Thanks guys

Comment

Nothing makes one tonewood "better" than another, just different. They're all good - it's all personal preferences.

The RR1T will be a lot brighter than the KV2T, mainly because of the maple neck. (Maple has a lot of top end.) Mahogany has more mid-range and low end.

Comment

Uh, aren't you guys forgetting another VERY important difference? The RR1T has 22 frets, while the KV2T has 24.

Comment

Originally posted by stryperfan View Post
                              Uh, aren't you guys forgetting another VERY important difference? The RR1T has 22 frets, while the KV2T has 24.
                              24 frets crammed onto a 24.75" scale? Dear lord.

And I thought MY les paul has no room on the higher frets.....

Comment

Working...
                              X