PC1 PUP Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 PUP Swap

I'm really not diggin the Super 3 in the PC1. To my ear it's very muddy. I really prefer Seymour Duncan pups. Any suggestions on which SD would go well with the PC1? I like the sound of the pups in my soloists but I know that is a different animal than the PC1.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

A JB sounds great in a PC1.
    So does the 59.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking the JB might be a good choice. Is that the same as the SH-4 and the TB-4? When you type JB in the SD site it takes you to those. I also read somewhere that the TB is spaced for guitars with Floyds and the SH is not? I think this is what I'm going to get. I just want to make sure I get all the facts straight before I buy the thing.
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

My understanding is that TB = trembucker (Floyd spaced) and SH = standard Humbucker (Gibson spacing)...
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

neilli's right, TB is trem-spaced.

what kind of sound are you going for with your PC1? SD has pups for just about anything. if you're going for versatility, JB is the way to go though.
          I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

What wood is a PC1 made out of?

I hve a the stock TB4 in my SL2H, but that's alder and maple. People on the SD forums say the JB is picky in different guitars. I only have it in this, unless you want to count my Duncan Designed in my DK2 (still alder body).

FWIW I have a Super 3 in a Fender HM Strat and really dig it, but then again the Super 3 was designed specifically for this guitar.

Comment

PC1 is Mahogany... One of the only guitars I've ever actually liked a JB in was Mahogany. It could be a great match.

Comment

I have a custom shop Charvel that came with DiMarzios and I hated them too. I guess I just don't like the sound of DiMarzio pups. The ones I've heard sound very bass heavy and muddy.

Now, what do you call that little clip that the humbucker is plugged into on the PC1? It's like a damn cumputer in this thing!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  PC1 is Mahogany... One of the only guitars I've ever actually liked a JB in was Mahogany. It could be a great match.
                  Unless it's an older PC1 made from Koa.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I didn't know they did that!

Did they still have maple tops?

Comment

Yep.
                      http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1997Page15.jpg
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Any of you guys who have messed with this PC1 electronics - The little wire connector that connects the humbucker wires to the board: Can it be reused? Where do I get new connectors if they can't be reused? There is way too much shit going on in these guitars. The sustainer is not worth all this mess!! I need heeelp.

Comment

Better to steer clear of the actual PC board connector as they are too way fragile and just cut the wire some 3-4 inches away and solder the new pup. Be sure and stock up on some shrink wrap too.

The PC board and layout in the PC1 is utter crap! The soldering is done by either Ray Charles on crack or a really drunk Helen Keller. All my PC1's have seen the soldering iron at least once in their lives.

The sustainer is essential to playing a PC1 but is a mega pain in the ass to maintain. Don't even get me started on those crap battery boxes as well.....
                          Last edited by vklobucar; 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                            Better to steer clear of the actual PC board connector as they are too way fragile and just cut the wire some 3-4 inches away and solder the new pup. Be sure and stock up on some shrink wrap too.

The PC board and layout in the PC1 is utter crap! The soldering is done by either Ray Charles on crack or a really drunk Helen Keller. All my PC1's have seen the soldering iron at least once in their lives.

The sustainer is essential to playing a PC1 but is a mega pain in the ass to maintain. Don't even get me started on those crap battery boxes as well.....
                            +1
                            The PCB connectors are crap. Solder the leads right to the posts and heat shrink to protect them.

And let's not insult Ray Charles. Even he could have done a better job soldering these leads on.
                            -Rick

Comment

I get everything your saying except the shrink wrap thing? The sustainer is not essential for me. I'm about to rip the fucker out real quick like. The sustainer is just a toy in my opinion. You know the kind you get bored with after a couple times.

Comment

Working...
                              X