SL1s or SL2Hs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1s or SL2Hs?

Which guitar has more versatility for playing styles from metal to jazz? Right now I have an RR5 which seems to get pretty good jazzy tones out of the neck humbucker so I think the SL2H would do well for jazz. Is the SL1 any good for jazz though? Even though I like the look of the SL1 better, I'm not sure if it'll provide substantial jazz tones with the single coils. What do you guys think?

As far as the SL1, tone-wise it's very close to a Strat when using the middle and neck pickups which isn't a common Jazz tone, more of a bluesy tone.

Additionally, I get very annoyed with the middle pickup. I replaced my middle pickup with a Hot Stack which does not have the staggered poles sticking up and is a little shorter than a Classic Stack. With it lowered all the way it's out of the way enough that it's a non-issue but my pick would get caught on the poles of the Classic Stack.

I definitely prefer the SL2H, although the stock '59 is a little muddy on some amps/settings.

Comment

Jazz? F that

Either guitar can work.

For the SL2H you can get a 4 wire 59n so that you can split it along with the JB.

For the SL1, you can get many versions of single sized humbuckers, including the lil'59.

I like my SL2H but I also love my Model 6, and other H-S-S guitars as well.

I don't really like the middle pickup in the way either, and have many H-S guitars as well.

Comment

I agree, Don, I LOVE the tone of the neck single but that damn middle pickup, GRRR...

I seriously looked at all of the Duncan diagrams of the pickup dimensions and came up with the Hot Stack as the shortest pickup and also the single bar pole is smooth on top... It was driving me batshit with the Classic Stack even lowered as far as I could get it.

Comment

SL1 is more versatile, no doubt about it. But I still prefer SL2H's.

Comment

Versatility Id go sl1

Comment

Thanks guys. What else should be put into consideration between these two guitars besides the pickup configuration?

Comment

Nothing, really... That's the only difference. Pickup configuration and switching is it.

Comment

Alurkz, if you wanna try out my SL-1, come on out to my band's gig where you can jam with us in Fullerton, CA on Thursday night Jan 13.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks, that sounds like fun but I think Fullerton's about an hour an a half away from where I live and Thursday is a school night for me plus I think I have rugby practice.

Comment

i have both, and for jazz, i'd use an SL2H. the neck '59 sounds very smokey with the tone rolled back played through a twin reverb. as far as the SL1, it has the potential to be versatile, but the stock singles are pretty crappy compared to what is out there for singles. they remind me of what people that don't know how single coils sound think single coils should sound. a good single coil has a midrange complexity that those stock duncans don't have. i replaced all of mine with various dimarzio singles - blue velvet, area 61, HS3....
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                        i have both, and for jazz, i'd use an SL2H. the neck '59 sounds very smokey with the tone rolled back played through a twin reverb. as far as the SL1, it has the potential to be versatile, but the stock singles are pretty crappy compared to what is out there for singles. they remind me of what people that don't know how single coils sound think single coils should sound. a good single coil has a midrange complexity that those stock duncans don't have. i replaced all of mine with various dimarzio singles - blue velvet, area 61, HS3....
                        That is true. The Classic Stack is more like, a noiseless Strat-like tone. It does sound more like a Strat than a standard humbucker ever would, but does not quite sound right directly compared to a real Strat.

And the hot stack is just way too fucking bright.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                          I agree, the SL2H has a great pickup combo that work great together.

And on the singles I agree as well. I have no clue as to what a good single is. If asked, I'd say SSL-1, Fender 57/62 or 69, not because I have them but because I read the most hype about them.

I'm going to try an HS2 and HS3 in a Model 4.

Which pickup would you put where (neck or middle)?

I have a JE1200. Would you use it?

I'll try to figure out a good low output humbucker to match with these.

Comment

either of those fender singles you mentioned would be good. i prefer the 57/62, but the 69CS is good as well. for duncan, i like the antiquity strat pickups. they are killer. the rest of their singles...eh. dimarizo - now they make some good hum-cancelling singles. i like the HS3, HS2, the blue velvet, the area 61...if you can find them used the virtual vintage solo and virtual vintage heavy blues were great pickups as well. they have been discontinued.

with the HS 2 and HS3, i would put the HS2 in the middle, HS3 in the neck. a couple of good humbuckers to use with those pickups are the dimarzio PAF Pro (they were designed together), the SD 59, Seth Lover (one of my favs), or for a tiny bit more kick, a JB.

i would not use the JE1200. i am a bit of a purist and don't like anything added to the internal wiring, but....
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X