Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JT-6 to Floyd Rose Conversion: Some touch decisions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-6 to Floyd Rose Conversion: Some touch decisions.

Hey everybody, New here at the forum!

So In July I got this nice looking '87 Soloist. Well, go figure it had a JT-6 and this was the first time I had ever come across one. Well for Christmas I got a Black OFR from warmoth. My biggest question is: Should I get the Kahler style "string-lock" removed and replaced with the OFR locking nut?:think: I had planned on top mounting but I don't want to have 4 nasty holes in my finish, especially since it's a nice matching colored headstock. Also, whats the problem with getting new posts in? From what I can see, the original wood screw posts are smaller that the Pieces the new posts screw into. So instead of doweling the holes they could be bored larger.

Anyway, heres a video of the guitar (excuse the poor tempo). I was rushing to finish and I didn't have a backing track (copyright stuff).
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Looks like I screwed up the title. It was supposed to say *tough* decisions.

You can just use the same posts and leave the string lock - www.fretsonthenet.com do upgraded posts if you feel that is necessary (and by all accounts, it's a worthwhile upgrade, but not essential). Replacing the string lock for a Floyd nut is gonna leave some marks, so if the stringlock is functioning, I'd leave it as it is.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I have many OFR guitars. I just recently picked up a couple of JT-6 guitars. I don't think it's worth the effort or the money to swap.

Comment

I swapped the JT-6 with an OFR and left the Kahler style locking nut. It wasn't causing any problems and is working fine. I did replace the locking pads and screws w/ new ones from FretsOnTheNet but I don't think they are offered anymore.

As far as the posts go you don't need to dowel and redrill, the posts he [Dave] sells are a direct replacement and drop right in. They have a different angle that allows more range of motion than the JT-6 posts. I changed mine with those but there are a few here who have used the OEM posts with the OFR.

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of a successful conversion?

Comment

Comment

Thanks! But I meant the Nut...sorry

Comment

Oh right. Don't have a pic of that. The problem is that the mounting holes for the string lock will be visible, so you'd need to get creative with a trussrod cover if you wanted to hide them without refinishing the headstock...

Comment

Here is a stringlock to locknut conversion that my luthier did. It remains top-drilled. He cut a custom truss rod cover, but I think if I put a full-size Jackson cover on there it will completely hide those two holes without encroaching on the logo.

Comment

Very neat job - I guess you could just make the cover a little wider at the nut and it'd cover them completely...

Comment

Thats what the tech I sent it to said. Thanks a Ton for all of your help guys! I guess I'll leave the stringlock for now and if it still has tuning problems, I'll get it changed out.

Comment

Tune up the guitar, and lock down the nut. Then, with the tuner still on, push down on each string behind the nut. If you can make the string pull sharp, your nut is slipping. Tighten it down a bit more, and retest.

Comment

One last thing. Do you know where I could get a replacement plastic rim for the humbucker? The one thats on there is pretty worn.

Comment

pretty sure sweetwater has mounting rings
                            I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

Pickup rings:

He may be shut down until next year, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X