Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with ZOWIE Interference Paint from 2001? Any others out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with ZOWIE Interference Paint from 2001? Any others out there?

I love this paint job on my SL2H. Looks killer under some stage lights. Does anyone else have this? I can't find any info on it other than what is in the old jackson catalogs. Is this rare or what? Its categorized as ZOWIE with color of Interference Cyan/Magenta

I had it on a Les Paul once. It was pretty sweet, however, camera flash most always made it appear green. Heres a pick where it was purple.

And heres one green.
    Last edited by Twitch; 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Does that say bionic monkey back there? Funny!
      Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

I have a 2002 SL1 with paint they called interference fireglow. Looks similar. It ranges from gold to orange to red to purple, but never blue like yours. I love the paint, and it changes constantly depending on the angle you look at it. Almost always looks purple in pictures (a lot like your last pic), but I got this one shot that shows a range of color.

Comment

you never seem to see those colors on the used market. very cool colors!!!!!!!!
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

My favorite was the Interferance blood drip finish. There was a WR1 with it and it kicked ass...
            H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

It's probably PPG Harlequin "color shifting" paint if anyone wants to look it up.

Comment

Here's Interference Fireglow.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Interference Splatter.

Comment

Yup..Thats what I was saying...Very cool
                    H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                      It's probably PPG Harlequin "color shifting" paint if anyone wants to look it up.
                      Good call. I think each paint brand had their own trade name for it. some called it "flip flop" too. I have also heard harlequin used too.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I lived next to a body shop when this type of paint hit the market in the late 90's. I was under the impression PPG invented it. There was a pearl additive that came out at that time called Prizmatique. It made any clear coat sparkle like a rainbow. That might be worth looking up, too. I thought for sure these paints and additives would make their way to the guitar world, but they never really caught on. After a few conversations with paint reps I realized people might not want to pay $28 per oz for paint that couldn't be touched up if damaged. Each coat darkens the overall color of the applied paint so an entire car would have to be re-painted instead of blending in a small spot. This sort of thing is great for highlights--ghost flames, pin stripes, etc.

Comment

Highlights would def be cool.. Kinda like on the ocean at sunset or something like that? Me myself, I've always wanted a Three Stooges guitar! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                            I lived next to a body shop when this type of paint hit the market in the late 90's. I was under the impression PPG invented it. There was a pearl additive that came out at that time called Prizmatique. It made any clear coat sparkle like a rainbow. That might be worth looking up, too. I thought for sure these paints and additives would make their way to the guitar world, but they never really caught on. After a few conversations with paint reps I realized people might not want to pay $28 per oz for paint that couldn't be touched up if damaged. Each coat darkens the overall color of the applied paint so an entire car would have to be re-painted instead of blending in a small spot. This sort of thing is great for highlights--ghost flames, pin stripes, etc.
                            Carvin used the Harlequin Prismatique for a little while then discontinued it.

Comment

The first one reminds me of my old Charvel.

This is how we did it, I remember because I helped the guy mix the paint. Dark blue with just a little bit of pearl blue FF and pearl pink FF, shot over a gold base and then cleared. It was very deep blue, deep purple at other angles, and at extreme angles (really hitting the pearl) it looked like it glowed magenta.

It's way over-flashed in those pics and I obviously can't take any more, but the first pic sort of shows the magenta/purple and the 2nd shows the "normal" color.
                              Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X