No announcement yet.

PC-1 Sustainer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry rjohnstone,toejam,guitarhero, my bad. My understanding was that it was the fernandez unit.
    I do have a PC1 and yes it will hold a power chord but like I said in my first post, it will eventually blend into one note.
    It really is a very nice neck. Yes it is a bit fatter than the other Jackson necks but if after awhile you still don't like it you can have it shaved down to what would be more comfortable to you. Guitarhero, did you spec your neck like the PC1 or is it a different profile.
    That would be a good idea about trying out the DK2-S first, spend some time with it. It's quite a jump in money going from $890 to $2400 for a guitar to find out the one feature isn't going to do what you want or need it to do for you.
    You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Thanks for the interesting topic Hellbat.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      It is... the other poster is misinformed.
      I've repaired and retrofitted many of these units over the years.
      I've even fixed a few for some forum members.
      The Fernandez units are 9v only and will cook if you try and convert them to 18v. Trust em... I've tried.
      Hey Rick, you clearly have lots of experience with sustainers, so I was wondering how you rate the Fernandes units versus the Sustainiac? I don't think I'll ever go for a PC1 and, at least on paper, the current Fernandes guitars look like better bang for your buck than the DK2S. Thanks, Ken

Comment

Hellbat, where abouts are you in Vancouver? The L&M in Vancouver on Terminal shows that they have a PC1 in rum red in stock. I don't know how accurate their website is but you may want to call just to be sure they have one.
        Also, both Langley and Surrey are showing they have the DK2-S in stock.

Comment

Yeah, my band practices near the Vancouver L&M I'll have to drop by and check it out. I'm in Richmond.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by SixstringKing View Post
            Guitarhero, did you spec your neck like the PC1 or is it a different profile?
            Yes, my neck is the same as the retail version of the PC-1 with the exception of the reverse headstock of course and eyeball inlays. Phil has one guitar called "dreads" which has the same neck config as a PC-1 w/ reverse headstock and rosewood fingerboard which I could have gotten as well but I like it necked...lol
            Guitars:
            2011 Jackson PC-1 Adrenalize Custom Shop
            1994 Jackson Professional Dinky XL Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
              Thanks for the interesting topic Hellbat.

Hey Rick, you clearly have lots of experience with sustainers, so I was wondering how you rate the Fernandes units versus the Sustainiac? I don't think I'll ever go for a PC1 and, at least on paper, the current Fernandes guitars look like better bang for your buck than the DK2S. Thanks, Ken
              The Fernandes FSK-401 is a fantasitc unit. Similar in appearance and function to the unit in a PC1, which is why they get confused alot.
              Very reliable but not as strong as the PC1 sustainer. I think it's sustain capabilities are a bit week. There is a reason Floyd Rose went with an 18v setup.

The Sustainiac Stealth Pro is cool and I really like these units for their ability to be customized.
              For example you can use push/pull pots and or toggle switches. You can use a 3 way toggle to control modes instead of the two way toggle found on the FSK101/401 units and the PC1 sustainer.
              The 3 way allows you to do Normal/Mix/Harmonic. Pretty cool feature. You can even wire these babies up using a super switch.
              You can also change the tone of the driver pickup from bright and crisp to a mellow humbucker tone with a simple wiring change.

Sustainiac and Fernandes units are limited in that the sustainer will only work if you have the bridge pickup selected when you turn them on.
              The PC1 sustainer will work with any pickup selection on the 5 way.
              Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM.
              -Rick

Comment

Ahh, I wondered why the DK2-S had a three position toggle and the PC1 had only a two way. Wish I had a known about being able to switch up the sustainiac to get a mellow humbucker sound out of it, I may still have my DK2-S.
                The sustainiac is a good system, but for myself, I prefer the system on the PC1.

Comment

Thanks for the great info. Rick. An enjoyable & informative read. Much appreciated.

Comment

That's what I'm here for.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                      Thanks for the great info. Rick. An enjoyable & informative read. Much appreciated.
                      +1. Been meaning to get a 'sustainer' system for quite a while. Didn't know the differences between the PC1 system, the Fernandez and the Sustainiac. I'd want a PC1 system but I can't stand guitars with middle pickups. Will have to see now.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                        +1. Been meaning to get a 'sustainer' system for quite a while. Didn't know the differences between the PC1 system, the Fernandez and the Sustainiac. I'd want a PC1 system but I can't stand guitars with middle pickups. Will have to see now.
                        You don't have to have a middle pickup installed for the PC1 sustainer to work.
                        I'm working on a h/s fiddle now with a PC1 sustainer in it. The conversion is a piece of cake.
                        I still need to find another working board though.
                        I got one from an old Kramer (essentially the same board with the LED in a different position), but it was pretty much toast.
                        Will only do harmonic mode.
                        Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM.
                        -Rick

Comment

Tried out a redrum pc1 today. The sustainer is awesome, far more powerful than the one in the DK2S, especially in normal mode. I dont think I could get used to the neck being a little chunkier than I'd like though. It was playable for me, but I can't see changing from my RR1 necks to it in mid set. I think I'll just throw some money at my old Model 5 instead.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

In case anyone is interested, I wrote to Fernandes about the sustainer in the current Vortex Elite. Turns out it's the lesser 101 model with only two modes rather than the 401. If you post them the 101 circuit, for 50$ they'll replace it with a 401.

Comment

Working...
                            X