NGD - Learn graphic PC Archtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Learn graphic PC Archtop

Back at the end of 2010, I bought an early PC Archtop which had some nasty clearcoat issues on the neck.

Initially I'd considered stripping / oiling the neck, but having shown the pics to various people who know about such things, the concencous was that it could well have had a headstock break. But of course, without stripping the paint off, nobody knew for sure.
    I kicked around the idea a bit more, and got to discussing it with Sully. He suggested I talk to Mike Learn about a refin, which I did and Mike was super cool to talk to, and so the guitar was shipped out to him in mid January. I asked Mike to 'assess' the guitar before he did much work to it, just to make sure that it was worth spending money on (i.e. the trussrod was good, the frets weren't dead etc). He said everything was good and the guitar was solid but he did think it was likely that the headstock had been broken at some earlier point. When he stripped the neck, he confirmed that this was the case, and that the clearcoat mess on the back had made this impossible to see. To be honest, I've lost track of whether Mike had to do more work on the head break or not, but it's rock solid now. Also, the binding at the tip of the headstock was cracked, and we discussed the options - Mike was in favour of prepping it and painting it, rather than ripping it out and redoing the binding again. So that's what he did, and it looked great!

What was super cool was watching Mike paint the guitar live on his webcam:

Unfortunately, the shipping monkeys had their wicked way with this guitar, so it had to make the return trip to Colorado for repairs Fortunately, that was all covered by the insurance, and the guitar is good as new now. Thankfully this damage happened on a guitar which was already a refin - I'd have been beyond pissed it it was something all original!

Anyway, that's enough of the back-story, so here's the pics

I know this shape isn't everyone's favourite, but I strongly recomend you try one - they are super, super comfortable to play!

Mike and Diana were absolutely fantastic to deal with - when I told Mike about the shipping damage he sounded every bit as disappointed as me! And straight away they took ownership of the problem, dealt with the insurance etc etc So thanks very much Mike - I just need to think about the next project now
    Last edited by neilli; 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

I'm sending a guitar to Mike to get some work done on it this week (hopefully! had a couple delays in the last week already...) so I can't wait to see this when I get home. Work is blocking the pics here.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

DEAR GOD, I SIMPLY LOVE THAT AXE!!!!!!

nuff said.....

Comment

Bah! I just saw that JGP . Congrats
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Congrats, Ian!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Now that I'm home, it looks great! It's hard to tell from the pics, so I was wondering are these bolt ons or some kind of set neck or something?

I'm trying to figure out if he managed to hide a skull in there somewhere hehe.

OH! Also, how did you ship down there and what kind of customs hassles did you have to deal with? I've never shipped anything internationally before so I don't really know what I need to be aware of.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              ..I was wondering are these bolt ons or some kind of set neck or something?
              Just a neck thru. It might look funky, but it's fairly conventional...

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Also, how did you ship down there and what kind of customs hassles did you have to deal with?
              I sent it via Canada post. I think it cost like 90 bucks or something to ship it 3 days with $1000 insurance. When things first come into the country you have to pay HST plus duty, plus any handling fees (next to nothing for CanadaPost / USPS, free with UPS / FedEx if you go for air, otherwise it's a sliding scale charge). I didn't have to deal with any customs charges when it was returned because it was coming in after an insurance repair..

Comment

very nice. i am a bit jealous!!! i want a PC archtop SOOOOO bad!!!!!!!
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

So you have to pay HST on the work done to it out of country?
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Oh right - um, I think so..

Comment

Looks really awesome Ian...love it

Comment

Ian,
                        Glad that you are going finally get to enjoy that baby!!! Thank you for your patience. I look forward to working with you again.
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

That turned out great. Congrats! Awesome graphic work, Mike!

Comment

Fantastic!
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Absolutely perfect finish for that guitar.
                              Love Mike's work.
                              Someday I'll get my hands on a PC Archtop... someday.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X