Help me get this straight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get this straight...

Posted this on the RR fan site too, but I was wondering if one of you gurus was quicker on the draw or had better knowledge

Randy's "Concorde" as the name for his guitar(s) has been thrown around way too liberally over the years, and now I would like to get this straight.

Story 1: Randy began working with Grover on his own guitar, cobbling the design on a cocktail napkin. The sleek design reminded him of the supersonic aircraft he had the opportunity to ride, which became the moniker of his first guitar, the "Concorde". This design was not approved by Rhoads as a production model, and the controlls were re-allocated with neck/body becoming streamlined into the black stringthrough model, Named: (?) that became the approved design of the Jackson Rhoads line.

Story 2: Story 1: Randy began working with Grover on his own guitar, cobbling the design on a cocktail napkin. This guitar earned the name, "Original Sin", as his first creation. The "Original Sin" design was not approved by Rhoads as a production model however, and the controlls were re-allocated with neck/body becoming streamlined into the black stringthrough model. The sleek re-design reminded him of the supersonic aircraft he had the opportunity to ride, which became the moniker of his "improved" guitar, the "Concorde" and is the approved design that production Rhoads models are based upon.

Details not withstanding (feel free to add/make corrections), which of the stories is true? Is the White "O.S." and the black the "Concorde" or is the white the "Concorde" and the black un-named?
    '02 Jackson KV2
    '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS
    '92 Jackson Rhoads Tribute

I'm no guru, but my understanding is the larger white model was called the Concorde and the smaller black production prototype is just referred to as the Rhoads signature model. They wouldn't have named any production guitars Concorde because they would have likely had to license the name.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by V-man View Post
      The sleek design reminded him of the supersonic aircraft he had the opportunity to ride
      I thought he got the idea from the Star Trek logo.
      star_trek_badge_logo__59716_thumb.jpg
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

His mother did state Randy was a huge Star Trek fan (as did IIRC both Kelly Garney and Rudy Sarzo), and it was reported he wanted a guitar shaped like the Starfleet logo from Star Trek.

However, I seem to recall a poster from the late 70s/early 80s of the the Concorde airplane coming in for a landing with the nosecone tilted down, and when you turn the Rhoads Concorde (white one) just right, you get a very close match. Maybe his design was inspired by that poster?

At any rate, you can also read the interview with Grover Jackson that was done some time ago at the SDUGF: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...d.php?t=194343
        I do belive he sets the record straight on that, as well as few other details.

As for the conflicting stories you've posted, it seems to me those with the RR1/PCS-style RRs are hoping to spread that story so they can put "Jackson Concorde Rhoads" in their Ebay titles to get more hits from those collectors who are looking for one and not the other.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          I thought he got the idea from the Star Trek logo.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2273[/ATTACH]
          Nono, that's the Roswell Rhoads that came from the star trek logo
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

The Roswell came from the ST:NG logo, following the tale that apparently Amir Derakh heard also of Randy going for the ST logo.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
              Nono, that's the Roswell Rhoads that came from the star trek logo
              The Roswell is a more melted Star Trek logo.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Randy went to Grover about designing/building his guitar. After he had it in his hands, he took it back to Grover and said, "More," meaning to take more wood off the sides and streamline it, because too many people thought it was a Flying V. They discussed calling it the "Concorde" because the shape was vaguely like the supersonic plane, but they were worried about copyright infringements.

And just for the record, someone accidentally sold one of them at the NAMM show that year. I forget if the owner has ever come forward.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Actually Grovers wife sold the first production Rhoads to Sean Clegg.

Comment

I always thought, or heard or read way back like in the 80's the design idea came from the fender tails from an old car or his moms old car or something of that nature.
                    Like this. *shrug

Comment

I never heard of the Star Trek connection, and I'm pretty sure the Roswell Rhoads was inspired by events in New Mexico regarding crop circles. Says it in the '96 catalog.
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Someone just needs to hire a "psyhic" to contact Randy on the "other side" and get the real story

Comment

Yeah, here's a "psyhic" for ya:
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                          X