help me date this jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me date this jackson

I found this soloist at my local guitar center. I'm trying to get a date on when it was made but I can't quite figure it out! I'm guessing its a late 85' because it has a kahler tremelo, and 2 of the original Jackson wound pickups, also the logo on the headstock isn't in mother of pearl. I really dislike the kahler tremelo, it wouldn't stay in tune for more than a minute and that was just playing it with out using the bar. I don't like the spongy feel of the kahler either. On my Floyd equipped ibanez guitars I run 3 springs in a triangle pattern with 9 gauge strings in standard tuning to give you guys an idea of the feel I like. What really attracts me is the finish, its stunning and I'm in love with it. There's no other guitar in the world that looks like this. What I'm trying to get to is If I got it, I'd want to swap the kahler for a Floyd....is that possible? The guitar was set up poorly but I could tell it is well made and has potential to be great. I'm thinking about just saying screw it and getting a production san dimas usa because I want that hot twangy lead tone and I know the san dimas will deliver!

Last edited by ihaveagibsonsg; 06-22-2011, 02:40 AM.

SERIAL NUMBER, NUMBNUTS!

J/K

I meant to say: Pardon me, good sir, but the absolute best way to determine the year of a pre-2001 USA Jackson is to post the serial number. I notice that was somehow left out of your otherwise informative (and pic-filled! yay!) post, ol' chap!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If you want to date that Jackson, just be yourself. tell it some jokes, give it sincere compliments, but dont be too forward or seem needy. be confident but not overconfident. ask it out for coffee or lunch someday. dont go buying it flowers or chocolates or anything too crazy, you could scare it off. Let us know how it goes.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

And always pick up the cheque! Don't offer to split it, that's just plain rude.
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I couldn't find a serial number on the the headstock, I think its in the trem cavity but I didn't have a screw driver with me to take it off and check

Comment

Did you look on the fretboard right above the neck single coil? It might be stamped there.

Comment

Nice graphic. But I'd change the pink pickup for one in black Guitars generally like replacement strings, lemon oil and cleaning fluid. Giving it flowers and talking nice to it won't do you any good .
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                Nice graphic. But I'd change the pink pickup for one in black Guitars generally like replacement strings, lemon oil and cleaning fluid. Giving it flowers and talking nice to it won't do you any good .
                yea, but keep it organized!!!!!! I got confused once and tried new strings, lemon oil and cleaning fluid on a girl once and it didnt get me too far.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Serial numbers on Jackson neckthroughs are usually stamped into the fingerboard after the last fret.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Cool guitar.

Do not buy it if you plan on hosing it up. You will only kill the value and be throwing your money away.

Has the Kahler ever been maintained? They do need cleaning and oiling. Also, Kahler sells heavy duty springs to increase the tension. Finally, if you are still not happy, just swap the Kahler floating bridge out with a Kahler Fixed bridge.

Oh, and I just noticed - this guitar is already fucked up. Why would you have a trem cavity with a Kahler???

I'd pass on it.

Sad.

I want to cry.

Comment

Yeah I thought that was SUPER weird there was a trem cavity too but I'm not too familiar with them. I'm only debating on buying it because I can get 40% off at guitar center which would put it at 780$

Comment

Well here's the deal. You can see the trem bushings still under the Kahler. The question is how badly F'ed up is the guitar under the Kahler. If I were to buy it I'd make GC undo the Kahler to look underneath. Because it's a graphic, it's possible to get it touched up, slap an OFR in there, and if you do it right have a killer guitar with good equity built in.

Comment

After looking at the soloist again, DonP is right. The guitar is butchered and is a lost cause. It's a real shame because it looks unbelievable. I'm going to save these pictures for when I get a custom shop charvel one day to get this graphic done on it. In the meantime I bought a USA Socal in Candy green!!!!

Comment

The other option with this guitar would be to put one of the fixed kahler bridges in there, then you wouldn't have to do any (more) crazy woodwork.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

It would be worth fixing back IMO I would offer $450.00 because of the hack job they will probably take your offer.
                              Having dealt with GC a lot I can tell you they have less than $300.00 in it.
                              I like it because it has a reverse headstock on it ditch the DiMarzio pinkie and go with J-80.
                              BTW the tip of the headstock must have taken a huge hit look closely.Maybe its just the graphic I'm seeing.
                              Last edited by straycat; 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X