Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the middle and neck pickups in the Soloist SL1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the middle and neck pickups in the Soloist SL1?

The website doesn't list what is in those positions. Are they stacked single coils? If so is the guitar wired to split those for true single coil sounds?
    I am considering an SL1 or SL2 at this point.

They are single coils. STK-1's I believe - the same as you will also find in the DK2. If you want more options, go for the SL2H and replace the two pots with push/pull type pots so you can coil-split both the bridge and neck pickups.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I thought SL1s had classic stack humbuckers, not singles.

Maybe they have changed, but the SL1 I have has a Seymour Duncan classic stack in the middle and neck positions.

Comment

They're CLassic Stacks I believe.

According to Duncan, the stacks only offer humbucking properties, but the bottom coil is too far away from the strings to affect the tone other than hum-cancellation i.e. you can't wire them in parallel and get the same sound as you would out of say a regular side-by-side humbucker.

Therefore, splitting them would only give you 60 Hz hum.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I am not a big fan of the duncan stacked singles the STK-1. As newc said, they do offer humbucking properties, but they dont sound like a humbucker. so dont be mislead. I replaced the neck in my SL1 with a duncan cool rails, and in my DK1 I put a duncan lil' 59 (single coil sized version of the 59).
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
            I am not a big fan of the duncan stacked singles the STK-1. As newc said, they do offer humbucking properties, but they dont sound like a humbucker.
            Agreed. I only have them in that one guitar, and never use them.

Comment

I replaced the neck in my SL1 with a duncan cool rails, and in my DK1 I put a duncan lil' 59 (single coil sized version of the 59).
              How sound these compared to the STK-1 ?
              Guitars: Jackson KE-1, JRS-1, SL-1 / Charvel 750XL / Gibson Les Paul Standard

Comment

I'm actually a huge fan of these pickups. They really do just what this thread has been saying: they cancel the hum but still sound like a single coil. Really, really good for clean sounds and espectially that 4th position - for Stevie ray or mark knopfler tones.

Remember, this guitar evolved from a strat. This one of the few throwbacks that still exist in it.

Comment

IMO the Cool Rails sounds much better than the STK-1 or the Hot Stack.

Comment

The scope of the STK-1 and all the stacked humbuckers in general is not to sound like an humbucker but to sound as a single coil without hum, that's the point!

The SL1 was meant to have SC and HB sounds, therefore the choice of the STK-1 is obvious, but in that class of pickups I prefer the Dimarzio VV Solo or Blues 2, that have much more output than the Duncans.
                    '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                    '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                    '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                    '92 Fender Strat scallop
                    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                    '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Working...
                    X