Vintage Fret Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Fret Size

Does anybody know if Jackson makes or ever made a production guitar with the vintage fret size (Other then the KV1 and KV2?) I'm in the market to grab up a USA jackson and so far, out of all the ones i've tried, only the King V's feel playable to me. I just personally can't play on those huge jumbo frets most of them have. I bought a brand new SL-1 and sadly, as it was sexy as hell, I had to return it because I just couldn't play on those frets. is it just the King V's that have the small frets or what?

As far as I know, it's only on the KV2 of the current production models. I like that narrow fret wire too, but the Soloist neck fits me better than the KV2 speed neck.

Comment

I'm not aware of Jackson using "vintage" fret size on anything. The KV1 and KV2 have medium jumbo, which are bigger than vintage and smaller than their standard jumbo. The only other production model I know of that has the medium jumbos is the Mark Morton model.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I assumed thate the OP really meant the fret size on the KV1/KV2 rather than vintage.

Comment

I thought so, too, but just wanted to clarify that vintage wire is indeed smaller than the medium wire Jackson (as well as Fender, Gibson, etc.) use today.

Comment

All I can say is... I <3 giant frets.

Comment

right, sorry for calling it vintage. It's not quite as small as the vintage fretwire on my 57' RI Fender. it's kind of the same width but much taller, which I really like. my 2002-ish Les paul has almost the same frets, but not as tall, and my 2007 fender has almost as big frets as the XJ's on most jacksons!

thanks for the replies, I guess it really is just the KV2 then. It must be something dave mustaine asked for on his KV1 and then they just never changed it when the kv2 was made.

I guess it wouldn't be too huge of a deal to get something with the huge frets and just get it re-fretted though, right? I heard that randy rhoads did the same thing on all of his guitars cause he liked small frets too.
              Last edited by Grahf; 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                I guess it wouldn't be too huge of a deal to get something with the huge frets and just get it re-fretted though, right? I heard that randy rhoads did the same thing on all of his guitars cause he liked small frets too.
                There ya go!
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My 97 SDK super dinky has small fret wire
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I guess it really is just the KV2 then. It must be something dave mustaine asked for on his KV1 and then they just never changed it when the kv2 was made.
                    Exactly. Dave likes the smaller frets, and that just got carried on to the KV2. I'm not sure if the Y2KV got the small frets or not, but his Dean signature sure did.

Comment

Y2KVs have the same frets as KVs. Unfortunate, IMHO.

It's not so much the fret size that I dislike, as much as the shape. The medium jumbos used have a distinctly "squared off" shape to their crown. Going up the fretboard feels like dragging a lead pipe while running through a set of train tracks. "clunk, clunk, clunk."

I'll take regular jumbos all day, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Exactly. Dave likes the smaller frets, and that just got carried on to the KV2. I'm not sure if the Y2KV got the small frets or not, but his Dean signature sure did.
                        Cool, do you have a VMNT?
                        I had an LTD DV8 and an Axxion back a few years ago and they both had the medium frets too.. those are the two guitars I really cut my teeth on, so probaly why I am so used to them now :P

Comment

It's not so much the fret size that I dislike, as much as the shape. The medium jumbos used have a distinctly "squared off" shape to their crown. Going up the fretboard feels like dragging a lead pipe while running through a set of train tracks. "clunk, clunk, clunk."
                          i agree 100% and just had the kv2 i got from corpsegrinder specifically crowned to a more playable (and less painfull) slight angle leading twords the binding....night and day
                          Last edited by len; 07-15-2011, 01:02 AM.
                          “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Cool, do you have a VMNT?
                            I had an LTD DV8 and an Axxion back a few years ago and they both had the medium frets too.. those are the two guitars I really cut my teeth on, so probaly why I am so used to them now :P
                            Yes, I've got a VMNT. It, sadly, rarely gets any play since I'm not a big fan of Vs these days.
                            I do love the offset body of my RR1T, though.

Comment

ok guys, sorry to bump a pretty old thread but I had another question I was wondering if anyone could answer.

Ok, does anyone know the actual fret-size that IS used on the KV1 and KV2? I have a couple of really old stratocasters with the frets completely worn out, and I'd like to get them refretted with this exact same fretwire that my KV1 has.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Yes, I've got a VMNT. It, sadly, rarely gets any play since I'm not a big fan of Vs these days.
                              I do love the offset body of my RR1T, though.
                              what color is it? I do love the tone of dave's later mahogony V's(y2kv-present)
                              Last edited by Grahf; 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X