Question about Scratch/Dent on my SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Scratch/Dent on my SL2H

I was looking at the back of my Natural SL2H today and I noticed a small scratch on the backside of it, maybe an eighth of an inch long. I noticed that it appeared to be underneath the clear coat of the finish of the guitar. I looked into the light and it looked as if the area above was concave inward like I had hit it against something and cause it to form a crack/scratch underneath it, but then I rubbed my finger against it and I fealt nothing. Any idea how this happened?

I would have pics but my camera did not pick it up that well.

At first I though it was a factory blemish/scratch, but then I looked at the pics I took of the guitar when I first got it and it was not there. Even if it was I would have noticed it after I inspected it anyway and anyone can easily see it right now, especially those who played it at Fuller's before me and told me about it.

It could be nothing really I am used to the finish either scratching or chipping off when I hit stuff with it and if it is normal any scratch and dent gives the instrument character anyway. It is also very small. I am just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this or if it is normal.
    Last edited by church2224; 07-22-2011, 01:29 AM.

Try putting your camera at an angle with the Macro on.
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
      Try putting your camera at an angle with the Macro on.

I actually just got a response from some one who knew what I was talking about and said it is normal. It is like a bruise, you can hit the spot and scratch it but the clear coat can rebound on top and damage all underneath since the clear coat is a rough surface. But thanks anyway though.

Comment

if you look close enough at most natural or trans finished guitars you can find stuff like that fairly often. alot of times its from the final sanding or grain filling not being done perfectly. i for one dont believe the bruising or banging and the finish bouncing back. if the finishes was to bounce back from a ding or something, it would seperate off the wood and cause a cloudy look in the clear, it happens alot on older BCRichs on the headstock veneer seam. sorry but i call BS

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
          if you look close enough at most natural or trans finished guitars you can find stuff like that fairly often. alot of times its from the final sanding or grain filling not being done perfectly. i for one dont believe the bruising or banging and the finish bouncing back. if the finishes was to bounce back from a ding or something, it would seperate off the wood and cause a cloudy look in the clear, it happens alot on older BCRichs on the headstock veneer seam. sorry but i call BS
          Ah I see. If this is common then I will not worry about it. I just never owned many trans finished guitars before, so I am new to this haha. Thanks for the info.

Now that I think about it I have seen this before, on both production and custom guitars, non Jacksons really. When you take lessons at a guitar store you get to see a lot of things go right and wrong with all sorts of guitars, haha. No big deal
          Last edited by church2224; 07-22-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X