NGD - Something a bit different..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Something a bit different..

J4226 has made its way back across the Atlantic to the west coast of North America. Until this arrived, I'd never played a doubleneck, and I don't honestly recall ever playing a 12 string. So this was a doublewammy of new stuff for me! My wife thinks it's completely ridiculous, so that's a good sign

What I know about the guitar is that it originally had gold hardware and it was built for Steve Lynch (Autograph) which is noted in the trem cavity. At some point Bret Dennis obtained the guitar and then it went to Robert Witte, and then to Antti, and now to me. I have no idea if this guitar will ever see much use at my hands, but it's a cool novelty at least! Last night I stripped it down, polished the frets, oiled the board, gave the finish a thorough polish and then had the joy of restringing it. And let me say, that was no fun at all! By the time I got to the last couple of strings on the 12 string neck I'd got my rhythm going, but to start with the drone strings kept popping out of the string block at the head, then the 'main' strings would pop out of the same block as I was tightening them and it was driving me crazy! Plus, when the guitar is lying on its back, it's difficult to get to the body tuners...

Anyway, enough rambling - here's some pics of it (prior to the cleanup).

Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Super Cool! One of the coolest doubles I've ever seen, especially with the joined headstocks.

Comment

That is tits McGee Bro!!!

Now to learn all the Zeppelin you can.
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Damn! What a great score that is. I always loved those joined headstocks on a double neck.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I love it too. I have always wanted a doubleneck, I still kick myself over one that got away on eBay about 10 years ago.

Did they call those siamese headstocks?

Congrats. Awesome score.

Comment

That's a mean looking beast Ian...nice!

Comment

aaah, I always wondered how they joined the headstocks. Cool. There goes my theory that they carved the guitar out of one massive block of wood
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Guitars like that could make a tech punch you in the face if you were a new string every gig guitarist...

That is a sweet ass guitar man.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You would be a brave man to put that in the cargo hold of an airplane. its nice.
                  Double Rhoads "Vader" Custom.
                  Double Rhoads "Empire" Custom.

EVH 5150III Head and Cabs
                  ISP Decimator Pedal
                  Sony Wireless Systems
                  Ernie Ball Strings 52-10

www.facebook.com/evileuk

Comment

Absolutely awesome, Ian. The siamese headstock is rare, I've heard they won't do them anymore.

If it was originally gold, I'd totally go back to that. Black & gold is classy as hell.

Comment

Very cool, Ian! I've always wondered if the necks interfere with each other at all when tuning up, or if you did something like sustain a note on the 12 and divebomb the trem on the 6, does it throw the note off?

Comment

Nice! I heard those siamese headstocks are a pain in the ass and don't like to keep in tune very well with each other.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Very cool! That looks awesome. I always thought doublenecks had 2 sequential serial numbers?

Comment

very cool. r the necks the same profiles or the 12 string wider

Comment

Congrats on a cool one!

Comment

Working...
                              X