No announcement yet.

my RR1 sounds dull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a bad volume pot or a bad wiring job. Try retouching all the solder joints with a hot soldering gun to make sure theres no cold connections. Also for shits and gigles. Swap the vol for the tone pot to see if its a bad pot. just remove the capacitor first. Also try what was suggested above swap one of the pups out of the SL2 to make sure its not the pups. But my guess is a bad pot or connection.
    Gil

Comment

Also make sure the switch is NOT grounded that creates a ground loop and does wired things. Also check the wires on the jack. Make sure they are in the right places.
      Gil

Comment

Well I dropped off the guitar with my tech today. I explained the problem to him, played both the RR1 and my SL2 so he could hear the difference, and I gave him three new 25K pots just in case the pots were bad. He noticed the tonal difference. It's important to note that the RR1 doesn't sound horrible or "completely fucked" or anything, it's just pretty dull/not bright/not punchy compared to the Soloist that which sounds great. As far as dropping passives/new pups into it, I'm saving that as a kind of last resort. I really like the sound of the 81/85, so I'd prefer to keep that, especially considering they're already installed in the guitar. If my tech is unable to solve the problem with rewiring/new pots, I'd consider replacing EVERYTHING electronic, including pickups, but I really don't want to spend that kind of cash considering I just dropped a ton on the guitar itself. Hopefully fresh solders, wires, and pots will do the trick. We'll know in a couple of days. In the meantime, thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

I hate to tell the JCF but most of us know: Jackson does have a few tone dogs out there. Sometimes nothing works in a guitar to make it sound how you envision in your head. I had a Rhoads like that, and a Charvel 750. No matter what pickups, what strings, etc. it still was dead and lifeless.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
          X