Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally! An Explorer. ...and a lot of headache.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhh... That red one is so sweet. In fact, after I bought this one there was an identical trans red Explorer on the market here in Europe. If I can raise the money and it's still for sale I will get that one also!
    So for all these years I haven't seen anyone for sale, and now there have been five of them in a short period of time... Very strange?

And Joe (Charvel750) - you sold me that red SL-1, remember? I had it "fixed" by a professional luthier and it's now my main guitar. I love it!

And thanks guys, for your encouragement!
    S.W.E.D.E.

Comment

Looks like the one Mayzan had (or has...???) Awesome looker!!
      Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Swede View Post
        And Joe (Charvel750) - you sold me that red SL-1, remember? I had it "fixed" by a professional luthier and it's now my main guitar. I love it!
        Yeah, was that the one with Schaller active pickups in it? Was that an eBay sale? And how long ago was that? I think I remember it, glad to know it's been a cool one for you. And your Explorer is killer, congrats on that!
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
          Looks like the one Mayzan had (or has...???) Awesome looker!!
          Yes it is! Both of it

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          Yeah, was that the one with Schaller active pickups in it? Was that an eBay sale? And how long ago was that? I think I remember it, glad to know it's been a cool one for you. And your Explorer is killer, congrats on that!
          This one - remember?
          No Schallers. It was two DiMarzio's coil-tapped. I had one replaced and I had to re-wire the electronics, because it didn't work properly... This was in 2008.

Last edited by Swede; 08-07-2011, 02:41 AM.
          S.W.E.D.E.

Comment

Unfortunately ALL of these Jackson Explorers have 'issues'.....anyone who owns one will know what I mean.

You gotta be strictly a Rhythm player to be totally comfortable with them....a close look at any of them will tell the story.

Too bad really because I LOVE the idea of a Jackson Explorer.
            Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
              You gotta be strictly a Rhythm player to be totally comfortable with them....a close look at any of them will tell the story.
              Excuse my ignorance...
              But since I haven't been able to play it yet, and have no previous experience of playing Explorers (except some fiddeling in music stores...), could you explain what you mean?
              S.W.E.D.E.

Comment

could you explain what you mean?
                Upper fret access
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  Upper fret access
                  BINGO!! Ron you truly ARE brilliant.

This issue seems to be a Jackson cock-up....the neck is set too far into the body and you gotta be a contortionist to play the upper frets.

They just didn't get it right.
                  Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 08-07-2011, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
                    ...you gotta be a contortionist to play the upper frets.
                    Contortionist... Hmm, what a strange word. I had too look it up in dictionary... :think:

But now I understand what you mean!
                    S.W.E.D.E.

Comment

Contortionist... Hmm, what a strange word. I had too look it up in dictionary... :think:

But now I understand what you mean!
                      HAHAHAHa!!! Sorry 'bout that man....that one was for Ron!

BTW: I have a Jackson Explorer myself and I still love it even with the issues....

Comment

True, the upper fret access isn't like on a Soloist. It gets cramped from about the 17th fret onward. Unless, as was mentioned, you can play with your palm on top of the fingerboard, it's the only way to reach past about the 17th fret or so.

Now I remember that red Soloist, killer with the matching Dimarzios. Glad to see you're getting good use of it...
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The Explorers look awesome. Regardless of the upper fret access. But being a rythm it lead player shouldn't matter. 21 frets gas worked for clapton evh etc. 22 frets gave worked for decades. And super players like satriani evh and warren d. It's a shame to not use the extra frets but yeah. Cool guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                            The Explorers look awesome. Regardless of the upper fret access. But being a rythm it lead player shouldn't matter. 21 frets gas worked for clapton evh etc. 22 frets gave worked for decades. And super players like satriani evh and warren d. It's a shame to not use the extra frets but yeah. Cool guitars.
                            Yeah but not all of these are 24 frets.

Mine is a 22 fretter...therefore about 17-18 realistically playable frets. Kinda puts a damper on the lead action.

Comment

I'm the one who sold this to Swede. I owned it for a total of 2 months after I bought it off of Mayzan. I made absolutely ZERO mods to the guitar, and it was shipped in the same condition I bought it in. I've shipped guitars all over the world, and unfortunately, this one took a bit of the gorilla treatment. I honestly thought the custom Jackson fitted case would keep it from moving. I additionally packed the box with plenty of filler material to try and keep the case from bouncing around. I usually set the case in the middle of the box, and then fill around, and on the bottom and top.

Regarding the pickup route, it was there when I had it, and when Mayzan had it. This was owned by Robert Witte at one point, then Wayne W. had it. Mayzan changed the original gold hardware to black so it's possible that the tool holder spot was damaged when he swapped that out.

Comment

One other point...regarding the guitar sounding like ass...I agree! It's one of the reasons why I sold it. With two humbuckers, and a single coil, plus a variety of push/pull pots, and a 5 way switch you have a very good chance of finding horrible sounds all the way through. Almost endless combinations with that kind of config.

Comment

Working...
                                X