Choosing a Soloist to fit a Roland GK3 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Soloist to fit a Roland GK3 pickup

My Roland GR-55 is delayed, badly. Got plenty of time now to find a guitar for it. The question is whether anyone with an SL2H/SL1 had to make any mods to get the GK3 pickup to fit between the bridge pickup and OFR or issues with the GK3 dislodging itself or being damaged by the OFR? I didn't wanna buy a guitar with a trem only to find I can't fit the GK3 at all or install some nasty looking pickup ring. Thanks.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Aren't piezo-saddled floyd rose compatible with midi, looks like the best reversible possibility for a midipickup
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I had a GK3 on one of my NASLs. The pickup fit neatly between the trem and bridge pickup ring, in a space about as wide as the plug of a guitar cable.

Unless your trem saddles hang off the front of the baseplate, you shouldn't have trouble.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Simon, if you want another USA Coral Sea, I have a wicked Dinky USA already fitted for the Roland GK-3 pickup! It was routed already and fits perfectly. The main pickup is bolted to the body and the housing screws to the surface of the body. If you want more details about it, drop me a PM and we can go over it...

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I was under the impression there was an adhesive tape or something to stick the pickup to the body, preventing it from falling off or damaging the paint.

Thanks Joe, but I don't want another Coral Sea, nor a Dinky if I can help it.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

You can either tape it or screw it. Depends on your application. For gigging I'd screw it on.

On the other hand, the one I had came with a mounting plate to fit on tuneomatic posts. If you weren't dead-set on a Floyd.

I'm sure someone out there makes a modded pickup ring as well. Maybe Budman could?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I put some gks on some of my soloists. I find Kahler equipped ones work best, as the cord doesnt get in the way of the end of the bridge. It also has flat edges which make it better for taping the cord down........

Comment

That's cool, Simon. Mine has the main housing screwed into the guitar's body, but as Newc said you can use the strap pin and attach it like that. There are some sellers on eBay who have the pickup mounting rings to accomodate these so no need to route up the body. I bought that Dinky already with the work done to accomdate the Roland pickup. I would never cut into a pre existing guitar, so that's why I have it.

Comment

I am very picky though. I like painted necks and neckthru. My general concern is that the space between the trem and bridge pickup looks awfully small, bringing the thought of the GK3 pickup popping off every time I do a divebomb .

BTW Joe, that Coral Sea Warrior is now tuned down to D with 10-46's
                  Last edited by wilkinsi; 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Nice on the Warrior!

Comment

Is the spacing the same between the trem and bridge pups on the (JT-590 equipped) 90's Soloists and the current USA Selects?
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                      X