Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a USA sl2h online before playing one :/ hope I didn't mess up....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a USA sl2h online before playing one :/ hope I didn't mess up....

First post here.

So yeah the title pretty much says it all. No where in my hometown sells jackson guitars and the only one I've ever played was a jackson japanese soloist.

Today I decided that I was just going to buy one instead of driving 3 or 4 hours to find one in person and try it out.

I bought a brand new black soloist sl2h. Paid 19 large for it. Now I'm wondering if that was a bad mistake.

I currently own 2 american strats, one american jazzmaster, and one prs swamp ash.

I didnt even think about the back of the guitar being a gloss finish. None of my other guitars have a poly gloss finished neck. I have one strat that appears to be just oiled and one that is satin (one is 17 years old and the other is 6). My jazzmaster has a glossy finish but it isnt all that thick. I really hope this finished neck doesnt bug me.

I've also been reading about alot of people complaing how thick the neck is. I didnt realize this would even be a problem. This could really make me not like the guitar.

My prs swamp ash has a really thick neck and i dont like it. It isnt too wide just the shape is really bad. Hope the jackson isnt like it.

Well anyway if you want to reply and call me dumb or try and make me feel better please do. My guitar comes in thursday so until then I will just sit and wait and hope I like it.

Man i hope i didnt mess up.

The necks aren't thick by any means. I too was nervous about my painted neck, but it's no issue for me at all. My ESP I had to scuff, but not my Rhoads. Crack open a cold one

AND POST PICS WHEN YOU GET IT!!!!!
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Best guitar purchase you'll make..

Comment

Soloists are my fav - just awesome playing and awesome sounding guitars. I love SL1s and Sl2hs.

Comment

Once you go Jack
          you'll never go back

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Death, taxes and Soloists. All things you can be completely sure of.
            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

If girth matters (go ahead....) the soloist necks are somewhat wide, but not thick. If your PRS has the Wide/Fat neck, the soloist is probably somewhat like that width, but thinner IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
                Best guitar purchase you'll make..
                Agreed. They are great guitars and everyone should have at least one. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

I'm still trying to find a stringthru Soloist in a finish I like. So far, zip.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Before owning my soloists' I only owned guitars with unfinished necks. I had never even played a guitar with a finished neck, but once I got my first soloist that didn't really bother me. It was never an issue because it felt good. And while the neck shape was also new to me as well, it never really inhibited my playing. In fact I think my playing got better due to the quality of the instrument. Don't sweat it, until you try it. You might like it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm anxious to get the guitar now and see how it feels to me. I would say my hands are medium size and my fingers are medium length but my hand is really wide and my fingers are kind of fat so its hard to say if the neck is going to be to my liking.

@xyrium- My PRS does have the wide fat neck. I'm not sure if its the wide or the fat I dont like but together that guitar feels horrible in my hand.

I'm not worried about the sound of the jackson because I played a guitar with the same bridge pickup as the Sl2h and it sounded really good. It had the sound I was looking for that my single coil strats cannot get. I've never played a guitar with the same neck pickup but I've heard its a really good combo (the seymour bridge and neck pickup).

I also have wanted a guitar with a locking trem ever since I sold my KH2 back in 2002 (esp signature). If I remember correctly that guitar had a painted neck and it didn't bother me at all. I actually should of never sold that guitar but I needed the money bad at the time.

So here is to hoping I like the neck. I'm also not opposed to scuffing up the neck to make it more satin like if this will improve the feel for me.

Does anyone know if the Japanese neck thru Soloist has the same neck size as the USA SL2H? The one I played was a natural color finish and I only played it for about 10 minutes but as far as I remember the neck felt good.

Comment

Originally posted by GaJackson View Post
                        Paid 19 large for it.
                        19 large = $19,000. You paid too much.

Comment

@axewielder- ...yeah I realized after I typed that I used the wrong wording. I was hoping no one would call me out for it...haha.

I spent 19 small for it .

Comment

19 bills
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              Once you go Jack
                              you'll never go back

Once you go Jackson
                              There's no going back son.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X