NGD The boy is beat up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD The boy is beat up

I just picked up a very beat up (I think) custom shop axe. Serial is 6413 so it should be 86 - 89. It's got an H S config and ebony board. I don't have enough posts to upload pics yet but I will. Sadly, someone blacked out the Jackson logo with a magic marker and get this....spray painted black over the painted pickups and graphic.

I't going to be tricky trying to get the paint off without pulling the custom graphics but it's worth a shot. The trem is in great shape, too.

Can't complain for 30 bucks!...first Jackson...I guess I'm in the club now

Upload your pics to Photobucket or flickr or any such site. Then either just copy and paste the links or use the icon above the text box here that looks like a window and paste the url there.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Didn't even think...

http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/v...acksonRestore/

I'm out of light so that's the best I have.
      Last edited by johnnyninja; 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Can't beat that for 30 bucks. Did you slap the person you bought it from? Lol
        I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Take some mineral spirits and a clean rag and gently rub off the spray paint in a circular motion.Change rags often while you are doing it.
          Love to see whats under there
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Breaks my heart. It really does. Please save it.
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

The black paint may have been an improvement, but they could have done a better job. For $30 though, maybe the guy needed a hit of crack.............

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                Can't beat that for 30 bucks. Did you slap the person you bought it from? Lol
                He acquired it like that. I was told the trem popped off when someone threw it into a wall! No jackson love there.

I think I'll be able to get the paint off the body. My main concern is the painted pickups and pickup ring. I don't think there would be anything over the raw paint so it will be harder. I'll post pics of progress.

Comment

Here it is. It's not gonna shine up but it's clean. It plays and sounds so much better than I had expected Now I want another Jackson...

http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/v...acksonRestore/

Ebony Board. Looks like 12 inch radius.
                  JE-1500 electronics
                  J-200 neck
                  j-80 bridge

I assume the trem is a JT-6. Is that correct? I broke the arm trying to straighten it and need to get another one so any info is appreciated.

Also, I searched and couldn't come up with anything useful on the JE-1500 electronics. Anyone have anything that will help? The tone pot is scratchy and I may have to replace it. Does that do anything with the mid boost switch or is simply a tone pot?

Comment

That finish is great, never seen that graphic before. I think that's a JT-590, not a JT-6.

Here's what the manuals say about the JE-1500:

With the mini toggle in the down position, the tone control acts like a standard tone knob. When that switch is in the up position, the tone knob is a frequency sweep to select the center of any group of frequencies from 450Hz to 4500Hz. This produces an effect similar to setting a wah pedal in a particular fixed position for that nasal or open wail sound.

Last edited by Ward; 08-27-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Use turtle wax to polish it up.
                      You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Bridge is a JT-590, if it's original this is a later model - 1989 or so. I really like the reverse headstock; you don't see them often on the Strats, so that makes me wonder if that's original also. Definitely a killer deal there!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks for the info ward.

I think the finish was scuffed up before the spray paint was applied. I used a micro mesh sampler pack to get to the dull shine it has now.

Does anyone know if the tone pot can be replaced. I can't find a value for it anywhere. Looks like it may be a dinosaur?

Comment

Looks great to me - nice salvage job!
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Cool finish, kinda like they were going for a worm-hole trekky thing. I agree that it's likely from '89 with the half-back pull up route under the trem. I like the H/S pickup config as well. Not bad for 30 bucks!
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X