Caparison VS. Soloists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caparison VS. Soloists

I've been saving alot of money lately to hopefully get either a really nice soloist, or caparison. I would like to hear from the public which they think is better. Thus the title.

ALSO FEEL FREE TO POST PICS OF YOU'RE SOLOIST/CAPARISON.

I have an Applehorn and various Soloists. They're very different - the Applehorn is bolt-on, 27 frets, h/s and the neck profile is unlike anything else I've ever played. The Soloists I have are from different eras and have very different specs, so it's difficult to compare the Soloists to each other, never mind a Caparison.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Well this is a Jackson Forum, so most people will be biased, same if you went to the Caparison forum with the same question.

Both guitars IMHO, the USA Select Jacksons and the Japanese Caparisons, are on the same quality level. From what I have been told if you like Jacksons you will like Caparisons as they have similar neck profiles because the owner of Caparison once worked at the Jackson Japanese factory. I myself plan on getting a Scarab Horus and/or a Frozen Sky TAT-II within the next year. The problem you will have is the price. In the United States the TAT, Caparisons version of the Soloist, Starts at 2,500.00 while a Soloist starts and 2,000.00. So if costs is a factor then the Jackson might be the better option.

That said, having played a few current production USA Soloists, the USA Soloists are some of the best quality production guitars built today. I have never played a Caparison, but I have a friend who has owned several and he loves them, as well as Jacksons.

Comment

I haven't played a Caparison myself, but the two complaints I see on various forums are 1) many of the finishes look/feel cheap in person and 2) most people don't like the stock pickups. Both are matters of opinion, of course, and I'm not a huge fan of the stock pickup combo on most Jacksons, so your mileage may vary.

For that kind of money, I think I'd add a few other brands/models to the list.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by church2224 View Post
          from what I have been told if you like Jacksons you will like Caparisons as they have similar neck profiles
          Not saying the Applehorn is representative of all Caparisons, but it's NOTHING like a Jackson neck profile.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Didn't Caparison close-up shop? There was a Japanese seller on eBay who was making such statements in his auction. Wasn't sure if it was just hype or truth.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
              Didn't Caparison close-up shop? There was a Japanese seller on eBay who was making such statements in his auction. Wasn't sure if it was just hype or truth.
              They seem to be still around.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

SOLOIST! R U FN CRAZY? CAPRISON'S LOOK GAY! Not that there's anything wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                  Endorsers have apparently been told that the company is reorganizing but not going out of business.

I briefly owned a Caparison Dellinger-7, which seemed almost exactly what I imagine a 7-string USA Dinky would be like, if such a thing existed. Ultimately, I wanted a neckthru seven, but I still kind of regret selling the Caparison.

Interestingly the Jackson Falcon--which was designed by Caparison's lead guy, Itaru Kannu, and was the basis for the Caparison Horus--doesn't have a neck anything like the Horus. The Horus has a pretty thick profile, while the Falcon had a neck as thin as any Fusion I've ever played. I sold my Falcon for that reason--the neck was just too thin for me.

Comment

The neck profile on a Caparison TAT is weird. At the first 3 frets, it is flat, and gets curvier as the frets get higher, then it flattens out towards the body of the guitar. The neck feels more like a Jackson speed neck instead of the RR/ Soloist profile. In a heartbeat, any day of the week, I'd take a TAT over a soloist. Their build quality is on par with Custom Shop Jackson's. They feel awesome and I don't mind their stock PU's. I'm that one guy on JCF that will recommend you get a Caparison instead of a Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                    X