Looking at a Jackson Bolt On- Adran Smith vs PC1 vs DK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a Jackson Bolt On- Adran Smith vs PC1 vs DK1

I have been looking at some of Jackson bolt on neck guitars as I want to try something different, two of my three electrics right now are neck-thru. Since I am used to my Soloist and my Carvin DC400's neck profile I want to know what are the neck profiles of the DK1, the Adrian Smith and the PC1. I am really leaning towards the PC1 in Red Rum and I hear the neck is big, which is not a problem, but is it like a Les Paul or Schecter or something similar?

The reason why I am asking is that I am stocking up on some gear for over the next fiscal year, so I want this chance to get and try some new gear. The year after I will be getting some customs from from Suhr, Carvin and Stinette (Once Jackson has a quicker wait time I will go for it then)

Other gear I am also getting-

Jackson SL2Ht
    Jackson SL1 Eerie Dess Swirl or Absinthe Frost
    Jackson SL2H-MAH Cherry Burst or Transparent Red (if I can get it special ordered...)
    Ibanez RGD2127Z
    Ibanez RG1527
    Ibanez S5470 Red Viking
    ESP M-II
    Music Man JPXI
    Caparison TAT-II Frozen Sky

Freyette Pit-bull

Subject to change...

Thanks guys!

I'd go for the Adrian Smith. The PC1 neck is too big for me and the DK1 neck is too flattened D. My main gig guitar was a DK1 and it was fine, but I never really dug the neck profile.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah the PC-1 neck is BIG. It's comfortable and the guitar is fantastic, but when I was thinking of buying one I kept coming back to the fact that none of my other guitars had a neck remotely like it and I would have to adjust to a totally different feel if I was using it in a set. It's like a thick U.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

So what neck on these guitar is closest to a Soloist or even the King v Style neck?

Comment

To my mind, the DK1 is closet to the KV. Soloist is like a cross between the Adrian Smith and DK1.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Stinnetts kick ass IMO very different and top shelf all the way.
            I agree with nelli as well.PC-1's are nice and to me the neck is like a 50's L.P. as far as feel.Not too big really.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

For background, necks I like are Charvel San Dimas, Jackson Soloist, Gibson 60's. So, I like "thin, but not too thin" necks.

The PC1 was too big for me, it wasn't that I couldn't play it, it just felt so awkward compared to every other guitar I had. I liked my DK1's pretty well, it's like a Soloist only slightly flatter/thinner. The Adrian Smith I would imagine is like the Charvel profile but that's just a guess, and that's a really comfortable neck if that is what it is.

The other thing to keep in mind is the PC1 and DK1 have the truss rod adjust at the headstock, where the Adrian Smith is at the heel, so you have to take the neck off to adjust it, which to me is just too much of a pain in the ass to fine-tune down to a few thousanths.

Comment

I'd totally take the PC-1 of the three. The neck is in between a 50's and 60's profile Les Paul shape. The wood choices and tone are where it's at. # 2 choice would be the Adrian Smith and then the DK1.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I'd take the PC1, shave the neck down, and put a Duncan Custom in it instead of that DiMarzio.

Comment

Working...
                  X