Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson SL1 or Jackson Dinky professional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well with my Strat i don't feel comfortable with the neck, it has a U (or V) shaped neck -that's good- with vintage frets and 7.25" radius. I hate the vintage radius, it's almost impossible to play Heavy Metal with that kind of neck, plus I don't play a lot of "strat stuff"...i'm a humbucker guy at all..on the DK2M i mounted push/pull pots and I got pretty decent sngle coil-like sound from th JB and the Jazz.

On the 650XL i was thinking about mounting a JB, a SSL6 in the neck and a SSL2/SSL1 in the middle position, along with a push/pull for the JB. What do you think?

How can a superstrat with FR, alder/basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard be muddy and dark?

I don't shred nor i do sweeps, though, i'm not a virtuoso..
    Rick

Comment

what i mean is that you cannot play jazz or blues with a 650xl. You will never get the crisp sound of a strat in that guitar, nuff said; although you can get decent clean tones, that guitar is made to play metal.

the neck is ultra thin, the thinnest neck i've ever played, bit thinner and narrower than a soloist.

Regarding pickups: I think a JB in the bridge will be great.
      I have mounted a SD Hot Rails mini humbucker in the neck position (and left the jackson in the bridge) and it has a killer sound, a true upgrade from the jackson factory pick up.
      you can hear how it sounds in the guitar solos i've recorded here, both of them with the SD HR. the rythmy and fills are done with the di marzio humbucker. the amplifier is a marshall jmp1 thru EL34 power amp

Comment

That's a strong opinion which I disagree with. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just sharing mine as well.

Soloists and Jacksons of that ilk can be extremely flexible instruments. A good guitarist can wrench sounds from a guitar that a less experienced player won't, and the amount of effects, amplifiers, pickups, speakers, etc. has a tremendous influence on overall sound. One can always replace active electronics in the Charvels and Jacksons and use whatever pickups they'd like as well. Again, immense flexibility...

Here are some more recent neck dimensions to chew on. My model 6 actually mesured a hair thicker than an SL1 btw.
        http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...2006Page30.jpg

This said, I love my model 6, it's one of the more comfortable necks I've played, and I have small to medium hands. I also love my SL1, and combined with an old Boss GT-8, I can make it sound like almost anything.

Comment

BTW, that 650 has two strikes against it already. First, I hate the toothpaste logo (another opinion) and second, the guy who strung it is a dolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyrium View Post
            the guy who strung it is a dolt.

Yah, I got a chuckle seeing those ball ends sticking out in different directions!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's strange, i know, but i ended selling my Explorer and my Strat (+ money) and I came up with a used DK2 in Trans Red (without hard case but with a SD Little'59 neck and a TB4 bridge instead of the three Duncan Design) and with a Black Metallic RR1 (i made a trade with a friend of mine, who is my rhythm guitarist too).
              This one is a 1998 with hardshell case (Jackson/Charvel logo on it) without stock pickups (but i have already bought two white Seymour Duncans).
              Last edited by Glenn KK; 09-14-2011, 07:36 AM.
              Rick

Comment

That's an easy choice! Go with the KV2 in black!

Comment

Working...
                X