Not in love with soloists....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not in love with soloists....

Gotta ask I saw this posted in the SL2H thread....Whats the ratio of love vs eh.. for soloists?

Myself. I like em okay but I would MUCH rather a vintage unfinished Jackson or Charvel bolt on any day.

And I will say that the 2 newer soloists I have had have been bland to say the least.. One of the 2 Sl2H axes I had (could be the EMG's) was just a turd.

Anyone else have this opinion?
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I know what you mean. Could just be the 'newer' soloists have slightly different building methods and/or parts. I have an older soloist which I love immensely. It used to belong to a member here named Toru. It was possibly built by Mike Shannon so it has the similar specs as those "Shanon Soloists". 80s specs. I also have a recent soloist 2009/2010 but it's hard to compare. It has Duncans, while the older soloist has EMGs.

Comment

i feel the same for the most part. soloists are ok, but i'd rather have a dinky or a PC-1. i just prefer bolt-ons...
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm a neckthrough guy and love my Soloist-ish Model 5, but ever since I got my first RR1, I'm learned that I'm a V guy more than a strat shaped guy. The V is more comfortable for my picking arm/hand.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've owned 2 SL2HT's so far. both early 2000's. And yeah I agree with you that they are not my cup of tea. Its either the fatter neck or the painted back. I like the bolt-on's better. I'd like to get my hands on a Model 1 Charvel but people are demanding too much money for them in decent condition.
          Sam

Comment

I'm the opposite. I had about 6 Jackson bolt ons before I got my first soloist. Since then I have picked up 4 more soloists, and sold all but one of my bolt ons. I also got a Rhoads that I like, but don't love playing the shape. This year I picked up a PC1, and I really don't like it. I guess I'm just a neckthrough soloist guy. I may pick up a Kelly one of these days, but I don't know that I will ever buy another bolt-on guitar.
            Last edited by Ward; 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM. Reason: RacerX (spelling)

Comment

I didn't like my 2010 SL2H as much as my 1997 SL1. The neck was wider on the new guitar versus the old one. Other than that it was a great guitar. I really like the idea of DK1s but the neck is just to gawdammed thin for extended live use for me.
              1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
              2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
              2008 Satin Black SL3
              2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
              2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

I absolutely love the necks on the new Soloist, which is why i buy the never ones honestly. Maybe I am weird that way.

Comment

My '96 was a little too thin and narrow, I like my '09 pretty well. It's not my favorite guitar I don't think, but that changes from day to day.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    My '96 was a little too thin and narrow, I like my '09 pretty well. It's not my favorite guitar I don't think, but that changes from day to day.
                    I think for this reason I am the only Jackson fan that likes the Post Fender ones over the pre Fender ones lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                      I also got a Rhoads that I like, but don't love playing the shape.... I may pick up a Kelly one of these days,
                      Hmmm, you'll probably not love playing the Kelly shape either then!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My Soloist and RR1 do me just fine

It was the KE2 that I couldn't adjust to...the main reason being that mine had the dreaded neck dive. It was ok as long as your forearm was resting on the body, but it just wasn't for me. Even a wider leather strap didn't do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                          My Soloist and RR1 do me just fine

It was the KE2 that I couldn't adjust to...the main reason being that mine had the dreaded neck dive. It was ok as long as your forearm was resting on the body, but it just wasn't for me. Even a wider leather strap didn't do the trick.
                          Two dozen helium balloons on the headstock will fix that right up. As a bonus, you cut them loose during your encore, to give the fans a treat they won't soon forget.

Comment

Neck Thru > Set Neck > Bolt On

Comment

I dig em. many years ago, i sold off all my boltons and went on a neckthru only kick. I haven't owned a soloist made after 87 but the ones ive had were all great guitars. & yes i do have boltons now.

Comment

Working...
                              X