1998 Jackson SLS ... opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Jackson SLS ... opinions?

I can't find much information on this model.
    I know it's neck-through, bound rosewood fretboard with no inlays, 3x3 headstock, and TOM bridge with stop bar tailpiece. That's about all I know.

I don't really care for the headstock, but all the other features I actually like.
    What's the general consensus on build quality, feel, playability, etc. of these models?
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

made in USA, mahogany body with a fixed bridge and Dimarzio pickups (looking at the '97 catalog)

Personally I dont think you can go wrong

Just remember that they are a carved down soloist and not for everybody (Super-Light Soloist), usa built version of the SLSMG with passive dimarzios, trans finishes and a stop tail

Comment

From the catalog scans, it looks like they changed from DiMarzios to Duncans in 1998; all the rest of the specs seem to have stayed the same. I'm guessing being a USA Jackson, the build quality will be top-notch.
      I'm wondering about this "carved down soloist" thing. What the overall feel of the body and (more importantly) the neck of these models?
      Looks and Specs-wise, I like what I see, but I want someone's first hand experience to give me an idea of what to expect?
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

I had a '98 SLS in a burst. With Duncans. Nice overall fiddle. Tone was in between a Paul and a Strat. I dug it, but had to trade it out for another fiddle. Can't recall the feel of the neck. It had a gloss finish on the neck and it was NOT a speed profile - if that helps.

I did wind up getting another SLS later on but that was a custom shop with totally different specs.

Comment

I seem to recall the neck profile on the '97 USA SLS I had to be very similar to those fleckstone Dinky Rev necks with the offset dots. Kinda flat/thin with the fat shoulders, felt overly wide. I don't recall it being thick like the SLS3 neck, but it's been a few years and many necks have passed through here since then

And of course it only had 22 frets.

The body is like 1/2" thick at the edges, if that. It's carved that way, not like a Les Paul where they reshape the top and keep the thickness (hence the SuperLight designation), pretty much just like the SLSMGs are.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for info, Pete and Newc. There's a very real possibility I may be getting one.
            I have always wanted a USA Jackson, and this will be my first.
            Wanted to see what exactly I am getting myself into
            Am excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I seem to recall the neck profile on the '97 USA SLS I had to be very similar to those fleckstone Dinky Rev necks with the offset dots. Kinda flat/thin with the fat shoulders, felt overly wide. I don't recall it being thick like the SLS3 neck,
              Yes! My memory has been jogged by your description Newc. Indeed like you said. The SLSMGs have a different feel to the neck. I dig 'em and was considering a snow white one.

Good luck on your hunt DalyTek.

Oh, and here's my SLS:

Newc! Show off that Trans Orange SLS you got. Always gets me jonesing to do a refin on another guitar in that finish. Very niiiice!
              Last edited by GuerillaPete; 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Well, the SLS is on its way to me. Tracking number says it will be here on the 14th.
                It's got black SD JB/Jazz pickups instead of the zebra Duncan Pearly Gates/Jazz that I think it came with originally.
                The wiring is weird...Original tone knob is coming with it and I'm going to wire it back up normal.
                Thought I would share the pictures that I was given as a "preview."
                (I will take more once I get it. And yes, Ron, I will GTWGITS!)
                I'm excited. This is going to be my first USA Jackson! What you guys think:

Last edited by DalyTek; 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Beautiful. I love the old offset SLS shape. I think I'll do a custom when the time is opportune (Read: have money ). They still do this shape, right?

PS: When you get it, would you mind taking a side-profile shot so I can see the body thickness? I'd rather have one that's regular soloist thickness vs extra thin, but this one looks regular. If it's thin, I'll get my custom done with "regular body thickness" lol
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Sure thing, Grim. Be happy to take some side shots for you.
                    I normally only like the standard Jackson pointy headstock, but I think the 3x3 looks right on this guitar, and I think the inlay-less fretboard looks classy.
                    This will look great along side (and be a good compliment to) my EDS KE3 Kelly.
                    The reflections make it hard for me to tell, but are those locking tuners on it?
                    Can anyone shed some light on the hardware for me? (what brand/type of tuners, bridge, etc?)
                    I was thinking if it's just a cheapo Tune-O-Matic bridge that I'd throw a roller TOM on it, but not sure what will fit.

Comment

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Bad ass! Both the blue flame and the 'Gretsch Orange' flame.

Comment

Working...
                        X