Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you fellas tell me about this? DK1 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy that runs FOTN is Dave, a long time JCFer. Tell him I sent ya!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

those gouges look like some kind of brutal retribution....ex girlfriend maybe?
      definitely not your every day wear and tear
      on the plus side its got a few original san dimas bolt on features that were changed when the ontario models showed up
      first off being the logo on the headstock which was change to an ® when the ontario production started up in full swing second is the small electronics cavity,which i'll bet has a brass plate on the bottom or at least used too .....the only thing missing from the pix is the tunining machines look blank .. they should be the early jackson with the logo as well. IMHO when it arrives ,take the neck off and it'll be marked 86 with a name stamp .... meaning old original san dimas parts assembled in ontario

my num one is a has alll the features mentioned above + the kahler and dual hum single volume layout, basically they're almost twins... will not part with ever....
      it just rocks
      big differences are its got an ebony fetboard matching white painted neck

Jim Shine's site used to describe in great detail the differences between the ontario and san diams made bolt on and soloist but appears to be all fender now.....

Last edited by len; 09-11-2011, 12:45 AM.
      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

My old place. Was great while it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by len View Post
          those gouges look like some kind of brutal retribution....ex girlfriend maybe?
          definitely not your every day wear and tear
          on the plus side its got a few original san dimas bolt on features that were changed when the ontario models showed up
          first off being the logo on the headstock which was change to an ® when the ontario production started up in full swing second is the small electronics cavity,which i'll bet has a brass plate on the bottom or at least used too .....the only thing missing from the pix is the tunining machines look blank .. they should be the early jackson with the logo as well. IMHO when it arrives ,take the neck off and it'll be marked 86 with a name stamp .... meaning old original san dimas parts assembled in ontario

my num one is a has alll the features mentioned above + the kahler and dual hum single volume layout, basically they're almost twins... will not part with ever....
          it just rocks
          big differences are its got an ebony fetboard matching white painted neck

Jim Shine's site used to describe in great detail the differences between the ontario and san diams made bolt on and soloist but appears to be all fender now.....

Thanks!! I see i have come to the right place! I will indeed take the neck off and look for any markings.

I probably will strip the whole thing down and give it a good cleaning as soon as i get it

And yes the scrapes and gouges in the body are unfortunate This gal must have some stories to tell. Are these bodies by chance poplar? hopefully the gouges aren't too deep. I would be inclined to touch up some of the scrapes if i was confident it would turn out looking better than it does now.

and oh yeah,
          What kind of pickups were typically used at this point, were they made by jackson?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I recognise that guitar. It was a special order from Freddy Krueger and he sold it on to Edward Scissorhands who lost it to Wolverine in a poker game.
            Unfortunately he had it stolen by Velociraptors back in the early 90s. And now here it is.
            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
              I recognise that guitar. It was a special order from Freddy Krueger and he sold it on to Edward Scissorhands who lost it to Wolverine in a poker game.
              Unfortunately he had it stolen by Velociraptors back in the early 90s.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Mazrim, I believe every word of that story! haha!

Guys, I got home from work and there she was!!!
                I 'll get some better pics, but here it is in front of my 2204 stack (yes, i am a total bedroom warrior right now)

First impressions-

I was actually expecting it to be a little more rough, it plays very well, the volume pot isnt even scratchy!

The action is a tad high, and some of the frets are a little flattened out from wear, but i am still surprised! Shes a keeper!

The neck fantastic. Im having a bit of trouble keeping the kahler in tune, but who knows how old these strings are, i bet a little lube on the nut will help this as well.

Comment

KIller indeed.
                  Check that the rollers on the Kahler move and are not frozen I'll bet thats where the tuning problem is.
                  Pull the strings off and check,also pop off the neck and check the neck heel and pocket for info and TAKE PICS.
                  Last edited by straycat; 09-13-2011, 08:37 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Will do straycat, for the life of me cant find my 3/16'' allen wrench to remove the lock nut screws. I'll have to bring some non metric tools home so i can work on this kahler, and get the strings off.

I do have this pic to show now-

Comment

Bridge pickup is a paf, possibly a burstbucker? What do I have here?

Neck pu is marked gibson USA

Comment

The body is quite heavy itself, The whole guitar weighs in at 9.0 lbs on my bathroom scale.

for comparison, my non-weight relieved '57 Les Paul VOS weighs in at 9.5, so this thing has some weight to it!

Comment

told ya there'd be a brass plate in the control cavity

check out these pix

8 days apart ...bob was on a roll that week

i swapped out the stock j50 n and j50 b pups with an EMG 81-85 combo
                          the old ones are in my parts bin JIC
                          Last edited by len; 09-14-2011, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kgosnay View Post

Bridge pickup is a paf, possibly a burstbucker? What do I have here?
                            Most likely you have a '57 Classic or a '57 Classic Plus. Most BB's have a white sticker on them, but not all. '57's came out in 1990 while BB's were not out until 2002. If you really want to know, you need to get a DC meter and take DC readings of each coil. If they are the same value, then it's a 57. If they are off about 400 ohms, then it's a BB.

Originally posted by kgosnay View Post

Neck pu is marked gibson USA
                            Highest probablility on this on is that it's a 490R, a common Gibson USA that also came out in 1990. Less likely would be a 496R, which is that same pickup but with a ceramic magnet instead of an Alnico II. Either one should read about 8K to 8.5K ohms. A Ceramic magnet looks grey and won't shine like metal. An Alnico II might still be grey but if you scratch it it should be silvery metalic under the gunk.
                            Last edited by DonP; 09-14-2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

len, That guitar is an absolute beauty. So this was probably left over San Dimas stock, that was assembled in ontario?

I'm really wishing that mine was in such great shape as yours. Its a bummer that somebody slashed the body all up. Somebody has tried to touch up the slash marks with a purple marker or something, The outer coating of poly has been chipped away and goes all the way down to the sealer (which is white) in most of these slashes. It there a good way to fill these in, and blend some paint in? Honestly, anything would be better than how it looks now.

Don, Thanks for the help on the pickups! I do have a digital multimeter, I'll dig it out and see if i can get some numbers.

Comment

So this was probably left over San Dimas stock, that was assembled in ontario?
                                no one can really say for sure.The official story is that all the neck plates after 1501 got mixed up
                                while yours is 2203 mine is 5115 yet the body buil dates are 8 days apart.
                                the smaller electronics cavity with the brass plate,along with the TM on the headstock are very good INDICATIONS
                                that these parts were made in the original san dimas factory...it is still considered an ontario model ....but nothing is truly for certain
                                except that they are truly amaziing guitars.

Comment

Working...
                                X