Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you fellas tell me about this? DK1 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by len View Post
    no one can really say for sure.The official story is that all the neck plates after 1501 got mixed up
    while yours is 2203 mine is 5115 yet the body buil dates are 8 days apart.
    the smaller electronics cavity with the brass plate,along with the TM on the headstock are very good INDICATIONS
    that these parts were made in the original san dimas factory...it is still considered an ontario model ....but nothing is truly for certain
    except that they are truly amaziing guitars.
    Ahh! Gotcha.

I have a question about the neck,

When I look down the fret board to chec neck relief I notice that the neck has just a slight relief, barely any really. What I notice though is a slight "wave" where the neck is quarter sewn.(more noticeable on one side) Is this common with these thin quarter sewn necks?

I don't think it effects playability, however my action is still a tad higher than I'd like it.

Comment

your best bet for that answer is to post a pix...i do not get what you are sayin maybe someonelse does
      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Haha yeah, i didnt do a very good job of describing it, I have a picture, it didnt come out the best, but hopefully it can help me explain.

As you can (kinda) see the neck is relatively flat, with very little relief. However there is a small bow to the neck right in the area where the neck is quartersewn. Its more prominent on this side of the neck.

my guess would be that adjusting the truss rod will not help get that bow out, but what do you guys think?

Its honestly not that bad, and i dont really feel like messing with it, i just want to play it now!!

Comment

I wouldn't worry as much about looking at it as to how it plays. If it doesn't play good, then try doing some adjusting. But don't do it just to make it look right if it's playing fine.

Comment

still trying to figure out what is actually goin on with the headstock ...need a side view
            “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I wouldn't worry as much about looking at it as to how it plays. If it doesn't play good, then try doing some adjusting. But don't do it just to make it look right if it's playing fine.
              I do notice some fret buzz while chugging the low e string and fretting the first couple frets., The string is fairly high off the fretboard, also could be worn frets too i suppose.

Originally posted by len View Post
              still trying to figure out what is actually goin on with the headstock ...need a side view
              len, its really not so much the headstock, but the area where the 2 separate pieces of maple have been glued together on the neck- down around the 3rd and 2nd fret (i believe this is called quartersewn??) That joint may have shifted around a bit or something.

When i run my hand down the neck I can feel a "step" at that joint, not big, just a noticeable.

maybe thats just how the necks are?

When looking down the fretboard, i can see that the portion at the first couple frets (portion the headstock attached to it) has a different amount of bow to it than the rest of the neck. Its like the 2 pieces of maple have a little different personalities. I am a little afraid to play with the truss rod, i might just end up making it worse. :o

Comment

Honestly, i feel like i am nit-picking, it really is a wonderful guitar, for being 23-24 years old it plays quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by kgosnay View Post
                  len, its really not so much the headstock, but the area where the 2 separate pieces of maple have been glued together on the neck- down around the 3rd and 2nd fret (i believe this is called quartersewn??) That joint may have shifted around a bit or something.
                  "quartersawn" is actually how wood is cut. The join you are referring to is called the scarf joint.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

ahh quartersAwn! That makes sense!

Comment

I just got my truss rod cover! Its cleaning up pretty nice.

Im having trouble finding a tool that i can adjust the truss rod with, my guess is this is a 1/4'' hex. Whatever tool it needs, it has to be very thin wall, theres not a lot of room for a socket/ nut driver in there. Will the truss rod tools from stew-mac work?

Comment

Working...
                      X