The moneys are coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The moneys are coming...

Yup, there is for sure a USA Jackson in my immediate future. Being the gear nut that I am, and the options available, I cant seem to make up my mind. So, Ive started a poll.

The choices:

Trans Blue SL2H
    BGF KV2

I know the SL2H is a winner all around. My only thing is it will be my fourth such shaped guitar. I want a little variety.

The KV2 can be a winner too. My issue here is Ive heard they have medium frets, but they have the speed profile neck. So the balance is teetering. The other concern is, just how big is the body? I want a V, but I want a slender V. I dont like the wide wing profile of most V shapes. Is the KV2 in fact of a smaller profile than the usual V?

Aside from this, there is a $400 difference between the 2 in favor of the Soloist. I could get some extra gear with the amount left from the SL2H.

Whats your opinion?
    KV2
    47.37%
    SL2H
    52.63%
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

There's a million BGF KV2s out there, so for me, they're kind of old hat. Plus the Soloist sounds like the better bet if you're concerned about some of the core-specs of the KV2.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The KV2 case is massive but the wicked points make it seem slim, at least visually. Don't have measurements comparing it to to a Y2KV or Gibson V or anything though.

If you already have several strat styles maybe give it a shot. Always looks good on stage and if you didn't bond.....probably not too hard to move.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        The KV2 case is massive but the wicked points make it seem slim, at least visually. Don't have measurements comparing it to to a Y2KV or Gibson V or anything though.

If you already have several strat styles maybe give it a shot. Always looks good on stage and if you didn't bond.....probably not too hard to move.
        Thats what I was thinking too. The case doesnt bother me. I have a Kelly, which is for now, my only non strat shape guitar.

Theres a couple of other guitars Im thinking of too, but finding one of them would be a royal pain in the ass. Kelly Pro(neck through, ebony board) in Green Sparkle. I also like Vectors XTRR, but probably wont have the cash hes asking if hes even still selling it.
        Last edited by Twitch; 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Agree with Neilli. There's a slew of BGF KVs out there. You can probably get a good deal on a used one.

Try and get the V-shaped case for it. It's smaller than the standard rectangular case.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
            Agree with Neilli. There's a slew of BGF KVs out there. You can probably get a good deal on a used one.

Try and get the V-shaped case for it. It's smaller than the standard rectangular case.
            Yeah, were talking used all around here. Bought a USA Jackson new once and tried to get rid of it a month later and couldnt move it like I wanted to for the price. Going used this time so I can get closer to what I paid for it back out of it if I dont like it.

Comment

Didn't you already have an SL2H? :think:

Comment

See above. I liked it, just needed an amp at the time more. I could buy that very guitar back, but the guy wants $2k for it and Id have to drive to Muncie.

Comment

I dunno, if you like the V I'd probably go for that, for something different.

Comment

If you're basing it purely on finish, the SL2H. More fun to play? Toss up. Shape? KV2.

Comment

Twitch, you should be aware that the KV2 is quite different from a Soloist in terms of the hand position, neck shape, frets, etc. I found it quite difficult to change from my Soloists to my KV2s, so I ended up getting rid of them, so the only V I've got left is my KV2T, but the KV2T is more similar to the Soloist in terms of those things. I don't know what your other guitars are or whether you'll have that problem.

Comment

I'd say get the Soloist. I'm after one myself, but plain black.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I bought a trans blue KV2 back in 2001, and it was a beautiful guitar, but I couldn't get used to the smaller frets and neck shape, so I traded a fellow JCFer for a Soloist and never looked back. The KV2 seemed a lot smaller than pictures suggested, at least when playing standing up.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                            Twitch, you should be aware that the KV2 is quite different from a Soloist in terms of the hand position, neck shape, frets, etc. I found it quite difficult to change from my Soloists to my KV2s, so I ended up getting rid of them, so the only V I've got left is my KV2T, but the KV2T is more similar to the Soloist in terms of those things. I don't know what your other guitars are or whether you'll have that problem.
                            Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                            I bought a trans blue KV2 back in 2001, and it was a beautiful guitar, but I couldn't get used to the smaller frets and neck shape, so I traded a fellow JCFer for a Soloist and never looked back. The KV2 seemed a lot smaller than pictures suggested, at least when playing standing up.
                            Im totally cool with the speed neck profile and hand position. My 96 KE3s neck is super thin and sticks out to my left about 3 or 4 frets farther than any of my other guitars. Im sure the KV will lean forward a bit to as my Kelly does as well. Really it seems the medium fret thing is my only concern now. Ive got two guitars with medium frets and I get along with them fine, just like Jumbo better.

Comment

Guess its the SL2H provided theres enough money left (should be) after I pay off and pick up a certain Kelly Professional in Sparkle Green (thanks Codex). Emailed the GC that has it for more info and got a call back an hour later. Sweet. They say its in pretty good condition and is indeed neck through and has an Ebony board. I put down on it to have it held. Then theyre gonna ship it to the GC in Greenwood when I pay it off. The only issue is that it has no case. Gonna have to find one somewhere. Thanks again Codex.
                              Seems there wont be much variance in my herd after all. All Strat shapes and Kellys.

Last edited by Twitch; 09-23-2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X