? re: Duncans for a Jackson PC1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markD View Post
    i hated the super 3 in my main PC-1. i went through several duncans - the custom 5, pearly gates, custom, custom-custom, 59 - before i put the JB in it. looking at the specs, i figured the JB would be horrible, but it has been perfect. that particular PC has the JB in the bridge, a dummy pickup in the middle, and a dimarzio HS3 in the neck position wired to a 3-way blade and it is orgasmic in its tone.

now, having said that, i run my amps dark. i keep the presence and the treble pretty low, boost the mids, add in enough bass to fill out the sound and allow the sheer volume add back the high end. in that application, the JB is great.
    Ok, that would explain a little bit there. You took out the electronics in your PC1. That will make a big difference in how you pickup will react to the guitar. I've tried the JB in some Les Pauls and did like the sound/tone they had when they were in them.
    You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

yeah, most pickups sounded shitty in there because of the electronics. i gig a lot and i wasn't using the sustainer, so i removed it. it was the best thing i ever did to that guitar.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

have a Kramer Sustainer with the FR sustainer in there and always seem to have to fight it and work it just right to get the sustainer to kick in, so I was uncertain about the PC-1... other than it's a sweet looking guitar and is built pretty much the way that I would want one custom built (i.e., the woods). but I've been really surprised with how the PC-1 sustainer has worked out for me. it's not something I'd leave on all the time, but I can see where it's a bit more than a 1-trick pony.

it's my understanding that it's been the same guy building most of the sustainer units all this time. like most stuff you put in the signal path, it's always a bummer when it messes with the tone.

Comment

When the sustainer system is on it gives the treble a boost in signal and you need to compensate with the tone knob. The Duncan JB worked just fine with the system on but I don't have it on all the time and when it was off there wasn't enough mid/treble signal to my liking even with the tone knob turned up all the way. I could have compensated with the eqs in my rack but that would throw off all my other guitars that I use and I'd sooner just adjust the tone on the guitar than start to piss around with the eq all the time.
          You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Originally posted by adampone View Post

veniculum - I can't bring myself to going the total titanium route with FU. I did get the saddle lock blocks and the stainless steel screws (nut, saddle, etc.), but the only real difference I've been able to hear is with the brass block. those screws are nice because I feel they're harder and won't be as likely to strip and I like the titanium lock blocks so I don't have to worry about them cracking or expanding. I'm not so sure I'm up for dropping that much on titanium saddles. geez. I bought the brass spring claw, but he makes them higher profile than the standard claws and it it didn't fit well in the PC1... I'd like to have had all those upgrades in a single guitars, but I got the brass claw to work in another guitar that's about to get a brass block this week - I'm going to put some brass claw screws in there at the same time. some say the brass warms it up, but I can't hear that.... I just hear more resonance, more sustain and the harmoics jump out. the first time I played the PC1 with just the block upgrade, I had to see if I'd left the sustainer turned on. lol!
            I couldn't agree more with everything you're saying. I've purchased the stainless stuff more for looks and durability than for tone. The blocks do make a difference though...even if it's somewhat slight. It brightens it up a bit. This is perhaps the reason why I'm considering titanium in, at least one of my higher end, Floyd equipped guitars. I've heard really good things about the titanium saddles/block. Yeah...it's pricey..to say the least. But what the hell...if I've already dropped 2-2.5K on a guitar, what's another couple hundred bucks. I don't think I'd spend that kind of money for a 1K Charvel Pro-Mod...but for my PC-1 or USA Soloist....definitely worth considering.

Pearly Gates in a PC-1...interesting. I never liked that pickup...of course, I never heard it in a PC-1...and we all know that pickups that don't work in some guitars do work in others. In all honesty...over the years, and using a lot of different pickups...I always go back to Duncan JBs. It just always seems to match the tone I'm looking for...and it works in a lot of guitars. I tend to like Alnico vs. ceramic...in most cases. I did pickup a Bareknuckle "Rebel Yell" and dropped it in my MM Axis...totally improved the sound. I really like that pickup a lot. Reminds me of a JB...bit pricey though....Might as well just continue to buy JBs in the future.
            Todd M

Comment

I'd have to qualify my comments about the stainless steels screws to clarify that they are harder if you make certain you are getting the right grade of stainless steel. the ones I got from FU.com are working fine so far. but I've discovered that there are lower grades out there where the allen socket can strip the first time you tighten it. the big advantage to SS is that it doesn't rust... and then, it looks cool on chrome hardware and it even blends in with gold hardware nicely. but the markings on the stock nut clamp screws and the block mount screws on a real OFR are stronger than the garden variety SS screws.

back to the pickup talk....

I agree that I seem to almost always go back to the JB. having more than one guitar with similar pups, I can rely on the composition of the guitar to be the tonal factor. at least, that's been my preference. this week, I went back to a mahogany guitar with a Duncan Full Shred in it and I do feel that if I change the guitar over to Duncans, I'll put a Full Shred in the bridge and a Hot Rail bridge in the middle.

As far as sticking with DiMarzios in the guitar, I really have no issue with the Super 3. I continue to lean toward the Fast Track 2 in the middle position. The Chopper and Pro Track are very interesting looking, but I can't seem to get a good sense of exactly what they do.

Comment

Working...
              X