jackson late 80s/early 90s phil collen model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson late 80s/early 90s phil collen model

Hey guys...I just happened to find the catalog sticky...I don't know why I hadn't seen this before...but boy oh boy did this bring back a lot of memories. I haven't stopped looking through the catalogs, and I just wanna say thanks for making these available. Us old timers (who were in their formative years while Jackson was just becoming a household name) can really appreciate these catalogs.

In looking at them, I had totally forgotten that Jackson had a Phil Collen model way before the PC-1. I don't know much about this guitar (i.e. how many were made, what they sold for, etc)...but I do like it, strangely enough. Of course, looking around online (ebay, etc), they're just doesn't seem to be any in existence. I was wondering if anyone here actually has/had one...how they liked it...what they remember, etc. And if anyone knows where I could possibly find one of these things. I know I told my wife I was done buying guitars for a while. 10 in the last 2 years is a little excessive..I know. But I have a feeling that if I ran into one of these, I might just have to open my wallet yet again...call me crazy.

This is the guitar I'm talking about....

Thanks guys
    Todd M

Yep. They're super comfortable, actually. They can be found (and I think you can get them from the CS now), but they don't go cheaply.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yes they can still be ordered through the Custom Shop under "original Phil Collen model". It was an archtop neck through model and it was a thick archtop. I tried one "back in the day" and found it to be a really nice guitar. Someone had brought it in on trade and I tried to trade and give cash but the owner passed on the trade and before I could get all the cash together the guitar was gone, like in acouple of days. Hadn't seen one since, would like to own one though. Hmmm......... Custom Shop.......
      You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

A few years ago I saw the Pro version of this one and regret passing on it. Never seen one since.

Any idea what the CS price is like?

Comment

My guess would be probably close to $4500, just a guess though based on what I've seen other CS guitars go for. Jake at Willoughby Music could probably give us a fast answer on this topic. Also would depend on how you spec the guitar out too.

Comment

I played one of these back in the day. don't remember the color. black, maybe? very nice. very low action. I know they were asking less than $100 for it.... maybe arounf $700-800. been a while, so it's hard to remember much more than really liking it and not having that much to spare... even though it's very affordable by current standards. in hindsight, I recall thinking I could've gotten a loan and pulled it off... there are times I wish I would've. that's a sweet guitar.

I see new ones at the guitar shows, so they are definitely still available. most of them are non-trem, so maybe they are keeping the trem version for the PC models.

Comment

They are super comfortable - I have an original PCS (refinished by Mike Learn), but enquired a year or so back and the starting list price was $5200.
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

$5200 starting!!! Yikes!

Comment

Wasn't it originally intended to be an ergonomically correct guitar, or something like that?

Comment

...anatomically correct, too!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Too bad we couldn't see about a limited run of these and see if we could get the price down.

Comment

Well, the $5200 was full list, so that'd be $3120 after a 40% discount.
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Wow..lots of replies. I guess I'm not the only one who has always liked this instrument. Custom Shop though huh...whew...that will be a little tough to pull off right now. These weren't always custom shop though, right? I'm just surprised that they're so hard to find used...I mean nothing...ebay, craigs list...couple other sites...nada...zero. That says to me that these were pretty limited in terms of production..despite they're being in a number of catalog years.

Anyway...thanks for the replies. I've only ever seen pictures in ads...or, of course, on MTV, back when they used to play music videos I'd sure love to see actual owners pics...detailed. They just are great looking guitars. Love him or not, Phil Collen has been a pretty big part of Jackson for a hellova long time...and he's really influenced a number of really nice guitars. I love my PC-1...it's one of my favorites. I'm still not sure about the new one...but my guess is, usually, whenever a new model comes out, folks tend to not like it...especially if it's outside the realm of 'normal' looking guitars. This old Phil Collen model certainly doesn't fit the mold...and has a very unique look. I'd be willing to bet that if message boards and internet forums were around 20 years ago, the naysayers would've knocked this thing as well. So with that said...until folks actually start playing and reviewing this new 'Supreme', the jury's still out.

Thanks guys...much appreciated.
                          Todd M

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
                            These weren't always custom shop though, right?
                            No, considering the catalog pic you posted shows that it says Professional on the headstock, which means Japanese production. There were also production USA models.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had one of the Pro models. Super comfy and lowest action I've ever experienced. Wish I still had it.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X