Hello all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been lurking here for the last few weeks. I was a member a few years back when I had my Charvel Model series guitars. I remember looking through the USA Jackson threads and drooling.
    But anyway, what's brought me back is a wonderful guitar I aquired for an unbelievable price. It's a 1984 Rhoads student model. The guitar is in really good condition and even came with the original case. The guy even had the elusive Kahler vibrato bar!! Now I'm a Kahler guy so that's very important to me!
    What really surprised me about this guitar was the neck profile. It's quite similar to a Gibson sort of thickness and rounded on the sides. Now I've played a lot of Jacksons over the years and they all had pretty slim, if not super thin, necks. Is this typical of the San Dimas era? I understand Jackson was still pretty much a custom shop small company still back in 84 so maybe it was ordered that way specifically by the customer. Also has a Duncan Jazz/Invader combination that looks pretty original to me.
    Has the invader been around that long?
    I've got to get some good pics of this axe so I'll try to do that today.

Welcome to the forum. Not all Jackson necks are super thing. Randy Rhoads loved thicker necks, so I'm sure some of the Rhoads models got thicker necks at certain points.
    And, yes, the Invader has been around for a long time... James Hetfield recorded Master of Puppets with an Invader. Maybe even Ride The Lightning, I can't recall.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow didn't know that hetfield used an invader. Was it in his Explorer or what? Thanks for welcome and interesting reply!!

Comment

I believe he used it in his first white Flying V which was an Epiphone and not an actual Gibson.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used to have an rr1t which had that thick san dimas neck... Mine friends rr1t, to whom Ive sold mine rr recently had a slim one... They all were post fender era guitars. I dunno if jackson guys know what are they doing there by themselves... XD
          Mine late 80s dk also has an thick neck.

Comment

can you post pics of your student Rhoads?? I have one as well. Mine was modded before I bought it. it has a Kahler trem, and a Floyd rose lock nut (thru the neck). its a good install too. I would prefer it was stock, but its still cool with the Kahler. It has some modded electronics too, I am not sure if I have even figured it out after owning it 15 years. they added a middle humbucker, and some coil splitting switches. confusing as hell. great guitar though. Fun to play.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I like my necks how I like my PP.. thick and meaty, ..it just comes alive in my hand.

I think the radius changes from tip to shaft..on my RR-1.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Pics

Here are some shots of the '84 RR V. Sorry for the iPhone pics! I'll try and get some better more detailed shots up soon. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by yuzerneigm View Post
                  Here are some shots of the '84 RR V. Sorry for the iPhone pics! I'll try and get some better more detailed shots up soon. Thanks!

I like the Ironbird in the background...lol

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Welcome to the forum. Not all Jackson necks are super thing. Randy Rhoads loved thicker necks, so I'm sure some of the Rhoads models got thicker necks at certain points.
                    And, yes, the Invader has been around for a long time... James Hetfield recorded Master of Puppets with an Invader. Maybe even Ride The Lightning, I can't recall.
                    toejam is right on.. I met Mike Shannon at a Namm show around 10 years ago and asked him about the thicker profile San Dimas guitars as I had a '84 Rhoads with the baseball bat neck as well.
                    His reply was Randy basically wanted his Les Paul neck on Custom V shaped body. So Mike and Grover actuallty mesured off Randy's White LP Custom and duplicated that neck profile for Randy.
                    In turn, a LOT of the earlier San Dimas Jacksons had the fatter "Randy" profile and Mike went as far as to tell me alot of players specifically ordered their guitars "Exactly like what Randy plays".

Welcome to the Board (again)
                    John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by pipsqueak View Post
                      I like the Ironbird in the background...lol
                      Yes pipsqueak the ironbird is a USA model from'86 and is beat to shit. It had a broken headstock that I glued back and then installed EMGs. After that she was ready to burn again. At first i was think full restoration but now I'd prefer to leave it as a relic besides getting the nut back to original specs with a stringlock. Thanks for the compliment! Btw I got that babe on my birthday this year for 50 usd. Love it!!!

Comment

Thanx again to all replies! Much appreciated!!

Comment

Awesome rhoads and welcome to the board. I like the way the rosewood contrasts with the black headstock and body

Comment

Thanks deathrider29! I love it too!!! It's become my favorite 80's axe to play due to the fact that it plays and feels like a f'n dream! Extremely well balanced and the necks profile is perfect!!! Not to mention the pickups are exceptional.

Comment

Working...
                            X