Ngd - ke2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ngd - ke2

I’ve been wanting to pick up a Kelly for quite a while, and I finally did. I spent most of the weekend with it, and I have to say that I am very happy. It was listed as a 2004/2005, but it is a 2002. It is immaculate. Except for a very small scratch on the tip of the headstock, this could pass for new. A case queen for sure. Not a single pick swirl or scratch anywhere, and all points are flawless. I can’t believe how clean this thing is.

A couple thoughts on the Kelly:

I was really surprised how different it sounds from my soloists. I was worried that it may be a clone soundwise, but it is a lot thicker to my ears. I did not expect such a difference, but it was a pleasant surprise.

The neck dive issue doesn’t seem to be a problem for me. I do seem to use a different stance when playing this guitar, kind of hunched over it a bit like old school Hetfield (although I probably look more like the Hunchback of Notre Dame). It’s a little strange to get used to the neck falling when you take your hand off of it, but while I’m playing it doesn’t bother me at all.

Anyway, here are some pics. It is trans red, and as usual the pics don’t do it justice:
    PICT0903.jpg
    PICT0904.jpg
    PICT0907.jpg
    PICT0908.jpg

My wife calls any guitar that is pointy or has a graphic an '80s' guitar, so this one gets to live on the '80s' wall that doesn't have any guitars made in the 80s
    PICT0910.jpg

Nice score. Congrats. Never owned one. I too have been looking for the right kelly. I have too many 'soloist' shaped Jacksons.

Hey, can you post pics of the soloist on the far right. Is that a Simpson parody of the Memorex commercial?

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
      Hey, can you post pics of the soloist on the far right. Is that a Simpson parody of the Memorex commercial?
      It's actually a 92 USA Fusion. I sent it to Lee at GMW back when he was doing work on other guitars. I had him route for and install an OFR, move the volume knob and the switch for the JE1500. I also had him take the tone out of the loop so when you turn the JE1500 off, it isn't stuck on that tone setting, it is full on signal. Then he had Dan Lawrence paint it.

Yes, it's a Memorex parody. I sent Dan a poster that I had, and he did a great job fitting everything onto the face of the guitar.
      038.jpg

He also kept the original MOP logo when he did the matching heasdstock
      037.jpg

Comment

Very cool! Thanks for posting the pics. Dan is awesome. He's painted three guitars for me.

Comment

Yeah, Dan is the man. He also did the graveyard soloist in the pic above.

Comment

Congrats on the new addition! Great looking kelly.

Comment

Nice Kelly! Gotta love the matching headstock.

Some people swear they have Kelly's that don't neck dive, but my KE2 did too. Not horribly bad, but enough that I grew not to like it. I would end up just using my left arm (because I play things backwards ) on the body to keep the neck in place, but if I went to go tap something then....boom goes the dynamite.

Comment

Working...
              X