Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about 80's custom shop I might be buying

Hey!

I wonder if you guys can help me with some information on a guitar I'm interesting in buying.

It should be a 1987 USA Custom with according to the seller, original floyd rose. Its hard for me to tell by the pictures if the bridge is an original or not so I would appreciate some help.

Some pix:

Thanks for your help!
    /Mathias, Sweden

That's not an Original Floyd. It's a Schaller (Jackson JT-590), and it looks correct for that guitar.
    The guitar also looks like a Fusion, so it's got a 24.75" scale.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The bridge PUP does not look original, but that's no big deal IMO

Comment

They didn't make fusions that long ago, so the year is probably wrong too. Didn't fusions start in 1990?

Also, I don't think it's a custom. That was a standard finish offered by Jackson (I had that finish on a fusion). Serial number would answer that and the year question.

And Jack is right, they didn't come with Seymour Duncans in the bridge, they came with a Jackson pickup. Every one I had was a J50BC.
        Last edited by Ward; 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          That's not an Original Floyd. It's a Schaller (Jackson JT-590), and it looks correct for that guitar.
          The guitar also looks like a Fusion, so it's got a 24.75" scale.
          Absolutely. Anytime you see that little square next to where the bar inserts, that's the "Made in Germany" stamp of a Schaller. It's a great trem, but not an original Floyd, even though the OFR is also made by Schaller. I think the string spacing is slightly different, isn't it?
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Also, the big "Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents" stamp might offer a clue.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

It's definitely not 80's and it's not custom. That's an early 90's production guitar.

Is it a bolt-on or a neck thru? If bolt-on, I'd agree with Joe that it's likely a fusion, but the pics give a Soloist (neck-thru) vibe.
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Not a Soloist, a Fusion. See the mini toggle in the middle? A Soloist from that time would have three knobs, no mini toggle.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The bridge pup looks like a lousy Invader. Instaswap!

I say Fusion too and it looks great.
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    Absolutely. Anytime you see that little square next to where the bar inserts, that's the "Made in Germany" stamp of a Schaller. It's a great trem, but not an original Floyd, even though the OFR is also made by Schaller. I think the string spacing is slightly different, isn't it?
                    Shorter string lock screws too with the smaller route.

I have 590s on a handful of guitars. I see them as the same as an OFR as far as features go and not a negative.

Artist is Nagel (at least the original art is. No idea if he did it himself or if it was reproduced en mass).

Last edited by Vass; 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Just be aware, even though the Shaller and OFR and almost identical, the route is often not as long as what's needed for a OFR (due to the string locking screws) and that does prevent a change to a OFR if you wanted to due that. But, as much as I prefer the OFR, the Shaller has hardened inserts at the pivot points and that's a nice feature that the OFR does not have.

Comment

Since Nagel died in '84, he definitely didn't do it himself. lol!

Do you know which piece of Nagel art this is based on? I've owned many prints and the book, but don't recognize this image.

Comment

I didn't think it was anything to do with Nagel - the graphic was called 'Deco Dream'.
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thats not a Nagel image, it's totally not in his style at all. It's definitely Deco Dream.

Get the serial number and somebody here should be able to provide you the correct year roughly.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                              Is it a bolt-on or a neck thru? If bolt-on, I'd agree with Joe that it's likely a fusion, but the pics give a Soloist (neck-thru) vibe.
                              I was assuming it's bolt-on since it's got the mini switch like the Fusions do.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X