Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson Noobie Here with a few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Noobie Here with a few questions.

Howdy folks,

I got a dude who wants to trade his Jackson Soloist SL1 in GMG from the early 90's for my Mint Strat Ultra. My question is it an even trade? He says it is in good shape minus two dings on the back side. I have not seen pics yet but they should be on their way to me.

I am mainly a Strat guy and got a San Dimas a bit ago and love the neck on it. I don't have the time to head to a store and try some out so I choose a shot in the dark and posted here.

What say you Jackson Educators?

Not sure how it works tradewise - I'd say that Soloist is probably a $900 guitar right now. The neck will feel different to the San Dimas Charvel you have though.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It's also a finished neck as opposed to an unfinished neck like your Charvel. You may or may not like that, if you like the neck profile you can always take the finish off if it bothers you.
      You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

this link here http://xhefriguitars.com/page4.html descibes in detail all the extra goodies that went into the Strat Ultra series.... wow!!!
        what year is yours?
        according to that site, straight out of the factory they came with lots of high end ~extras~ and are 1 step below a genuine fender custom shop guitar

that being said, and if its a gonna be a trade for a SL1 and you've never played a Jackson soloist, you are not aware of the major differences between a compound radius finished neck, floyd rose etc, and a strat...its apples and oranges
        i think your best bet to find one at a music shop and play it see if you are going to be comfortable with it
        before you go and send off the ultra
        “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas. Len, I am well versed into the Strat Ultra and Plus series. I have had my share of them. I have also had guitars with CompRad fingerboards and such. I just know very little on the value of a 93 Soloist SL1 GMG.

My all time fav Jackson I ever played was a late 80's early 90's 2HB model, Pink Finish, OFR, and maple board. I would love to find that guitar.

Comment

I am well versed into the Strat Ultra and Plus series
            i wasn't till i saw your post, did't even know the series existed
            neilli knows his shit and is dead on about the value of the SL1...whats the value of the ultra?
            if its mint and has all those ultra goodies on it i'd say its worth more in parts alone than the SL1
            the jackson you played ...what it a neckthru? how much do you like your ultra?
            lots of questions here that only you can answer especially since this appears to be a not face to face trade
            “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by len View Post
              i wasn't till i saw your post, did't even know the series existed
              neilli knows his shit and is dead on about the value of the SL1...whats the value of the ultra?
              if its mint and has all those ultra goodies on it i'd say its worth more in parts alone than the SL1
              the jackson you played ...what it a neckthru? how much do you like your ultra?
              lots of questions here that only you can answer especially since this appears to be a not face to face trade
              The Strat is $1500ish give or take a Ben or two. The Jackson I am talking about was a bolt on the best can remember. Its been 20yrs since I played it but the feel still sticks out in my mind. Yea, Neilli was spot on and I have the info I needed to make a balanced decision.

On my Charvel San Dimas Dinky. One the best necks I have owned. so Silky Smooth it is. It came from Splawn Guitars. I suppose it was a special order cause of the 5way switch. I haven't seen another like it due to the 5way.

Comment

Some people have all the luck. Damnit.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                  Some people have all the luck. Damnit.
                  In which regard?

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                    Not sure how it works tradewise - I'd say that Soloist is probably a $900 guitar right now.
                    early 90s? IMO 9 bills is too high. Closer to 8.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'd keep the Strat. Maybe have the guy toss you a little cash with the Jackson if you really want to trade.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, it is so clean I don't like to play it. I "have to" clean it every time I play it and I prefer my Charvel which I will never clean muahahahahaha. I want it to look like a 5th street hoe. Dirty, used. and played a lot.

Comment

The quality of guitars you have to choose between.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                          X