Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: 1986 Jackson Soloist San Dimas (J2039)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: 1986 Jackson Soloist San Dimas (J2039)

Picked this up locally. It's a Jackson 1986 San Dimas Soloist which was made by the custom shop since all orders at that time then were custom.

I went to a GC with the owner to try it out and just freaking loved it through a 6505+ combo enough to take it home.

It's nearly 26 yrs old so it's got some love taps but damn it sounds fucking beastly. The original bridge was some really weak SD (thinking 80s JB) which had a loose bottom end but some bite - removed that and put in the Dimarzio Super 3 which is pretty f'n sweet in this. I miss Poplar :wub:

My first time with a Kahler trem and I'm pleasantly surprised. I've always thought the string height of the body would be my downfall but it seems that the Kahler has a similar feel to the floyd under my palm and puts my hand in a similar position. This keeps the doors open for older San Dimas'

That is a freakin' awesome shade of blue. Congrats!

Comment

Looks great man, nice score.

Comment

Just gotta find a black cover for the neck single lol

Comment

86 would mean made in Ontario Ca.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            86 would mean made in Ontario Ca.
            According to the Jackson Serial # chart online 1986 was the last year they made them in SD before moving to Ontario. I think...

Comment

Yeah...
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Who the hell cares which plant it was made in? It's a USA Soloist that plays awesome and looks phenomenal! That's all that matters!

I've only had one experience (and it was quite recently) with a Kahler. Like you, I was very pleasantly surprised. I actually liked it much better than a Floyd personally.

Congrats on the beautiful score, and happy NGD!
                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

lots of em comin out of the woodwork these days!

nice score!
                  Haters gonna hate
                  Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

cool metallic blue

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                      I've only had one experience (and it was quite recently) with a Kahler. Like you, I was very pleasantly surprised. I actually liked it much better than a Floyd personally.

Congrats on the beautiful score, and happy NGD!
                      Thanks. Yeah a lot of people were telling me Kahlers were poop etc etc and for the longest time I missed out on a few SD Soloists because of them. Then when I tried it out I was like shit... this feels quite decent like almost like palming a floyd.

Comment

That is a beautiful shade of blue! Love it to bits! And those SD/Ontario Soloists are some of the best I've played! And Kahlers are actually quite addictive - stick on the heavy (bass) springs and wang away! Got one of those in Metallic Purple - it's currently in the workshop getting new pickups (the stocks are really weak) and receiving a locknut shelf route to accommodate for an FR nut - they work best with Kahlers in terms of tuning stability. After-the-nut lock sadly cannot handle angled headstocks a la Jackson, Gibson Explorer or Firebird. It's therefore best to go with an FR top-mount locking nut.
                        "Hey man, it's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool!"

My Jacksons/Charvels:
                        '91 Jackson® (MIJ) Professional Limited Edition Phil Collen Sig Archtop in Black
                        '91 Jackson® USA Kelly KE-1F (FLOYD!)
                        '89 Jackson® USA Phil Collen Archtop in White (KAHLER!)
                        '88 Jackson® USA Granite Strat

Comment

Originally posted by beardy View Post
                          That is a beautiful shade of blue! Love it to bits! And those SD/Ontario Soloists are some of the best I've played! And Kahlers are actually quite addictive - stick on the heavy (bass) springs and wang away! Got one of those in Metallic Purple - it's currently in the workshop getting new pickups (the stocks are really weak) and receiving a locknut shelf route to accommodate for an FR nut - they work best with Kahlers in terms of tuning stability. After-the-nut lock sadly cannot handle angled headstocks a la Jackson, Gibson Explorer or Firebird. It's therefore best to go with an FR top-mount locking nut.
                          You're so right man. I'm definitely loving the smaller sized frets compared to my other Jacksons. The Kahler is pretty cool too and has been impressing me since I got it - it's almost like it's over engineered to a point of crazy!

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Cool. You're on a roll lately.
                              Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X