Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some knowledge. 80s Ontario soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some knowledge. 80s Ontario soloist?

Some guy went into the local guitar shop with a Jackson. The shop owner & I have been pretty friendly for years, and he knows I'm interested in all things Jackson, so he gave the guy my e-mail thinking I could tell him what he has.

He sent me these pictures. It looks like the serial is J31xx, so that would make it an 87 Ontario I think, but I don't know jack about anything before 1990. I would say it is a soloist with a Floyd and some aftermarket knobs, but the horns looked weird. Any thoughts?
    Purp1.jpgPurp2.jpgPurp4.jpgPurp5.jpg

Serial # shot
    Purp3.jpg

Comment

I'm going with "fake piece of shit".

Comment

Good thing I came here for information. I almost told him it was a "real piece of shit".

Comment

Headstock shape looks wrong. (r) is in a bizarre place. Made in USA looks odd.

I won't even get into the body shape or the control layout...

The way the finish is checked around the scarf joint scares the bejeebers out of me too.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm not gonna say fake - I'm gonna say butchered.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

What was really funny to me is that he said in the e-mail that it was in 'great condition' for its age. The shop owner had warned me that it was pretty in beat shape, but I still wasn't expecting anything like those pics.

Unfortunately the guitar owner sounded pretty convinced that he had a San Dimas worth a good amount of coin...

Comment

I agree with all the above. Crap.

Comment

The big E string is damn near off the fretboard.POS in my book
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

There might be some real Charvel oversized pickup rings on there though!

Comment

No pics of the back, especially where the body joins the neck?
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Nope, only the pics I put up here, or variations of the same shots. I was hoping for the neck joint, but no luck. He says it is a neck-through guitar.

I'm not looking to buy it, but now I'm curious. It doesn't make much sense that it would be a fake neck-through, but that body just doesn't look right for a soloist.

Those horns look like they were shaved down or something...

Comment

The big E string is damn near off the fretboard.
                          trem is offset
                          Last edited by len; 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM.
                          “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

The trem is actually missing an entire post completely. I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but there is nothing holding the trem to the body on the top side. He asked me if I had any extras because he was missing one and the other was the wrong type.

So new posts might fix that problem. Not so much on the other issues...

Comment

The trem is actually missing an entire post completely,there is nothing holding the trem to the body on the top side.
                              i guess that explains a couple of things
                              “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Working...
                              X