Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess I should post my new aquisition here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I should post my new aquisition here...

I just got a beautiful guitar off the bay. I thought about posting it on the import forum but what the heck- it's USA Jackson where it counts. It's a Fusion Professional MIJ body in this killer blue color. The neck, tuners, trem, and hardwear are from a 1990 USA Fusion (USA Fusions did not come with OFRs). The seller didn't like the graphic on the USA Fusion body and sold it in 2002, replacing it with the MIJ body. Because of his decision I got a great playing guitar at a great price. I can't wait to shred up and down that super thin shortscale fusion neck!

I don't like EMGs so the seller is replacing the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio Super Distortion for me. When the guitar gets here I'm going to remove the two EMG single coils and put either a little JB or a SD Quarter Pounder into the neck position. I think I'm going to leave the middle position empty.. I always find middle pickups to get in the way. If you've got an opinion about either of those two pups, I'd love to hear it. I have both of them on me right now but I don't know how they sound. I also have a SD Hotrail neck pup that I could put in there.

RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Very nice. I remember seeing that auction. I wish he had kept the original, it was snakeskin, wasn't it?

I don't know about the other pickups you mentioned, but I'm interested to see how you like the super distortion in it. I've got a fusion that I want to swap out the J50BC Jackson pickup, and I was leaning towards a super distortion. But I've already got one in a different guitar, so I may go for something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
      Very nice. I remember seeing that auction. I wish he had kept the original, it was snakeskin, wasn't it?

I don't know about the other pickups you mentioned, but I'm interested to see how you like the super distortion in it. I've got a fusion that I want to swap out the J50BC Jackson pickup, and I was leaning towards a super distortion. But I've already got one in a different guitar, so I may go for something new.
      It was a leopard print, and it is ashame. I don't mind the blue color though, it reminds me of my old Charvel 550xl I sold earlier this year. My favorite band is the Russian heavy metal band Aria and I recently built a "Vladimir Holstinin Strat" with a single coil sized Super Distortion in the bridge, a Dimarzio Chopper in the neck, and a Fender USA Deluxe maple neck. I play through a Marshall Class 5 and a Laney Cub 8 with a Boss MT-2 to get metal distortion at bedroom volume. I swear that the Super Distortion perfectly recreats the tone of Holstinin in the Aria songs where he played strats with Super Distortions. I'll post a few links so you can get an idea of the sound (1, 3 and 4 are really true to the sound). I personally would describe it as cruncy, grainy, balanced tone. Perfect for 80s heavy metal. I have a Charvel with a J80c in the bridge and it sounds darker and less grainy then the Super Distortion, but I wouldn't say better. It's just different. The J-80 is great for those times when your playing early Savatage stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdpDicol8k8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSUKks6V0Ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFbfHmQ9Wlk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFifOWv9hdU
      RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
      My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

Originally posted by savatage View Post
        It was a leopard print, and it is ashame.

I personally would describe it as cruncy, grainy, balanced tone. Perfect for 80s heavy metal. I have a Charvel with a J80c in the bridge and it sounds darker and less grainy then the Super Distortion, but I wouldn't say better. It's just different.
        Leopard, that's right! That's even cooler! But I agree, that is a nice blue. I love the fusion necks too.

I think you described the super distortion perfectly. A mahogany guitar I got last month has one, and I've been really digging it. I also bought one of the old 70s 2 wire versions of the super distortion and put that in an old guitar last weekend. It sounds great, so I will probably leave it there and try out something new in the fusion. Since I finally taught myself to wire, I may as well experiment a little.

I've got J80s in my Rhoads, I really like them. I just never really dug the J50BCs I've got. Never thought they were terrible, but I could never get a sound that I really loved out of them.

Comment

I have the same exact guitar and color but with the original Fusion PRO neck and electronic. I totally love the J50BC and the J200's as well.

Comment

Working...
          X