No announcement yet.

Ran into a road block with my new RR1..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran into a road block with my new RR1..

Hey guys, I've been a member here for a while, but haven't really posted all that much. I have done a lot of reading here though. I picked up a used RR1 a few days ago. I got a great deal and the guitar was hardly played at all. One problem... I brought it to my tech, had it setup, brought it home.. The Floyd had pulled up quite a lot... Brought it back, went home, same thing. My tech couldn't figure it out. The guitar itself is perfect but he felt like maybe the springs were to worn out to keep tension on the bridge.. So I blocked it. Anyone else run into this issue? And are we correct by thinking its the springs in the tremolo cavity??

Hmmm...did your tech not maybe try and change the springs rather than block the term?

Comment

So it was fine when you picked it up and it pulled up in the time it took to drive it home? You would think you could sit and watch it move if it's going that fast.
      Sounds odd. More like it isn't being set up right, but ....dunno.

Comment

He didn't have any laying around. I would have had to go buy some. So strange. I'm pretty sure it HAS to be the springs..

Comment

Yeah I know! I brought it home, it had gone right out of tune when I plugged it in, I tried tuning up and that's when the bridge pulled up.

Comment

Ah, well that is probably it then. If you don't know how to tune up a floyd maybe? Then that is what happens.

Comment

Oh yeah I've been using Floyd's for years. It's kind of hard to explain. When I first arrived home, I plugged into the tuner and it was WAY out of tune. This is strange because the guitar left the shop in tune and perfect. When I tuned the guitar to the proper tuning that it was setup for, boom. Up comes the bridge. Which is deffinetly not normal..

Comment

To me it means it was not set up properly in the first place then. Start from scratch. Stretch the strings, play it for a bit with the nut off, and make sure it stays in tune with the nut off, then clamp it.

It is exactly what happens when it is not set up right, the bridge will continue to pull up and it goes in an endless cycle. Seen people do it many times.
                Last edited by Trem; 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Just did that a few hours ago. My gut is telling me that all that's left is the springs. If they are worn out and not keeping enough tension on the bridge. It's pretty agrivating actually

Comment

Everything you've said has all the indications of worn springs.
                    Stop struggling with it and grab a replacement set.
                    -Rick

Comment

Will do. I'll pick up a set tomorrow and give you guys an update

Comment

Originally posted by rhoadsfan11 View Post
                        When I tuned the guitar to the proper tuning that it was setup for, boom. Up comes the bridge.
                        Is it definitely set up for what you tuned to? Sounds like you've tuned up in pitch & the string gauge is too heavy pulling on the bridge.

Comment

Maybe the coils of the springs are getting caught on the edge of the trem route (between the spring portion and the block portion of the trem route). Or maybe, if you brought it home in a hardcase with the trem bar attached to the guitar, then perhaps the bar got pushed down, slackening the strings, then when you open the case up the new strings suddenly go taught but not quite to the degree that the were stretched, I.e. : maybe proper string stretching requires more time in state than what they got between getting put on and when you put the guitar into it's case - just a wild guess but makes a good story. Could also be gnomes.

Comment

There's two different issues being diagnosed here: worn springs will cause the trem to bend forward, loose/not-stretched strings will cause the trem to bend backwards. Which one is it?

"Up" and "down" are relatively objective, but usually "down" refers to "forward" (since you also go in that direction when pressing "down" on the bar, the note goes "down" in pitch, etc), and "up" refers to "back" as in "pull-up".
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thought this was going to be a Ran thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X