Thoughts on the SL2H-V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh...

That's an abomination. Retro headstock is overrated. It's nothing like a Shannon at all. I never really cared for Shannons so much either, for that matter. I do love non-recessed Floyds though.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I think the brass knobs are goofy, personally.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Interesting, mostly a lukewarm response. Maybe TMZ should have run the specs by here first!

Comment

Yeah, let's get the valuable opinions of a bunch of broke-ass bastards on the interwebs

:p
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The brass looks good on the burnt cherry burst imo.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Yeah, let's get the valuable opinions of a bunch of broke-ass bastards on the interwebs

:p
              C'mon now, there are a few "silent but spendy" types around here!

Comment

I love my SL2H-V Natural so much I am thinking about getting another one.

Comment

I almost bought one of the natural mahogany SL2H-Vs, but I decided to upgrade my studio, instead. Since I prefer the vintage Soloist specs, this to me is what Jackson should be producing as the "regular" Soloist these days. Obviously, not everyone agrees with me.

Comment

they are not my cup of tea.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I prefer the regular SL2H.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Like many of the MZ runs, I find the general concept (semi-vintage spec Soloist) to be very cool. Non-recessed Floyd, available dots & binding, even the vintage-style logo. And I definitely dig the all-mahogany version.

However, I seem to be frequently disappointed by the execution of some spec details on their runs. Here, I dislike the gold logo without all-gold hardware. Those round-top brass knobs are just plain wrong, as are the crown-head tuners. Some of the color choices are just plain "meh". And, OMG, would someone please tell them to cut the s**t with the non-matching hardware on all of their runs? Some brass / some black, etc. a) It's just plain ugly - do all chrome, all gold, or all black. b) Even where it might be semi-period correct (Charvels maybe, but not Soloists), many of us who lived through the 80s even thought it looked like @ss back then.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                          I almost bought one of the natural mahogany SL2H-Vs, but I decided to upgrade my studio, instead. Since I prefer the vintage Soloist specs, this to me is what Jackson should be producing as the "regular" Soloist these days. Obviously, not everyone agrees with me.
                          Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                          they are not my cup of tea.
                          For me, I really dig the colors on them and all the other specs I'd be fine with, except the non-recessed Floyd's. I know some people love them, but I don't. To each their own.

What bothers me about this run and others like it, is that it seems that no one is buying them. Even the same used ones have been kicking around on ebay for months. It's runs like this and the NAMM pieces that have helped create the 2 year back log in the Custom Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                            The new TMZ SL2H-Vs feature the "Shannon Soloist" specs, no? From the limited run Jackson did in 1998(?) IIRC.

Would love it more if it was just a 1-hum.

I like that!

Or, one hum and one volume control, no tone knob or toggle switch.

Comment

Who can tell me why the prices on those things are so incredibly low? Since they're CS guitars I'd expected at least 3k.
                              www.bodyfarmdeathmetal.com
                              www.facebook.com/bodyfarmdeathmetal
                              www.metalblade.com/bodyfarm

Comment

Order size. Because MZ orders many on a special run they get a volume discount. Same deal with their Natural series Charvels.
                                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                                X