Help identifying Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying Jackson

Sorry, it created the post before I was finished.

Someone is selling this guitar on Craigslist and they've listed it as a 1987 or 1988 Custom Shop Jackson. I don't know a lot about the Custom Shop guitars, but I was surprised the headstock doesn't have a CUSTOM SHOP decal on it. If anyone knows what this is and an approximate value, I'd really appreciate any input!

It has a bolt on neck and the seller has an original Jackson J90C to put in the bridge position.

Comment

Well, pre 1990 USA Jacksons were not "production models" so technically they were all custom shop. I don't know for sure, but the cool little "Custom Shop" logo did not come into use until much later.This looks like a USA Strat with a reverse head stock. "Standard" strats of this era should bring 550 - 750, so add what you think the graphic & rev head is worth.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Bridge is a JT-6 so the year sound right.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My only concern with this guitar is that the clear coat is flaking off in numerous spots. The paint is intact, except for a few small dings, but there are circles around the body where the clear coat is coming off. Would that be expensive to have repaired?

It's a nice looking guitar and comes with the original case. The guy is now making it a bit like Ebay, telling me he's taking bids, so I am not really confident I'll be playing along. He originally was asking $900 for it and with the case, I think that was fair.

Comment

If it has paint issues, that price is a bit steep. Not sure how much a repair would cost... I'm sure that's highly dependent if they can remove the rest of it without damaging the paint underneath.

That looks like the glow in the dark paint. Might not be, but that's the right color.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Ebay

He sent me close up photographs and the clear coat seems to be peeling off all over the body. I don't think I'd be able to buy it without forking out the money to have it repaired, so it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

ugh thats a shame, she's a beauty

Comment

I have a custom around the same time period and have the same problem with the clearcoat. So far it has beend restricted to the tummy cut area. I wonder if this was a problem for many guitars during this time period?
                  No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Originally posted by RampantLion View Post
                    He originally was asking $900 for it and with the case, I think that was fair.
                    Tell him this is an "or Best Offer" auction and tell him you'll pay $450

Comment

Originally posted by RampantLion View Post
                      My only concern with this guitar is that the clear coat is flaking off in numerous spots. The paint is intact, except for a few small dings, but there are circles around the body where the clear coat is coming off. Would that be expensive to have repaired?

It's a nice looking guitar and comes with the original case. The guy is now making it a bit like Ebay, telling me he's taking bids, so I am not really confident I'll be playing along. He originally was asking $900 for it and with the case, I think that was fair.
                      man the clear isnt peeling, dont you know snakes shed their skin?
                      come on, if you guys had thought of it first you woulda...
                      Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

That is from the same year mine is. Year is stamped on the neck (have to take it off) and there is a big stamp in the Trem cavity. You can see it as soon as you take the cover off.!CDz3b4!!2k~$(KGrHqMOKjkE0cQ5Ph5GBNP0Md3vhw~~_3.jpgIMG_0071.jpgIMG_0045.jpgIMG_0046.jpg It for sale btw
                        Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

He had it on the bay. It was bid up to five hundy and didn't hit the reserve. You've got your appraisal right there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

Comment

Originally posted by Knockout View Post
                            That is from the same year mine is. Year is stamped on the neck (have to take it off) and there is a big stamp in the Trem cavity. You can see it as soon as you take the cover off. It for sale btw
                            I was thinking of buying yours but if it's from this bad batch of paint jobs, I have second thoughts.

Comment

88 was pretty much a trial run on some graphics for Jackson. This lightning was one of the better once though.
                              Jack1988Page12.jpg
                              Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

Working...
                              X