SL2H-MAH or SL2H-MAHQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H-MAH or SL2H-MAHQ

Hey guys, in a couple months I will have some more scratch in the bank and I'm considering buying something I've always wanted in my arsenal, but have yet to own: a mahogany guitar.

Already having an SL2H that I love, the SL2H-MAH seems to be the way to go. However I've often heard that without a maple top to balance it out, mahogany can be too dark and muddy. This lead me to the SL2H-MAHQ.

I want that warm and full mahogany tone, but I still would like to avoid mud and be heard in the mix of the band. Will the SL2H-MAHQ balance it out or will the maple top cancel it out and not give that true mahogany tone? Or is the whole theory about full mahogany with no top being too dark just an exaggeration or the result poor EQing?

I would love to try both and come to my own conclusion but that's pretty much impossible.
    Last edited by Whoopu2; 06-29-2012, 02:57 PM.

I've an all-mahogany SL2H. It's actually a very bright-sounding guitar. It has humbuckers from hell in it, which I believe are known to be bright, so I'm not sure how much help this is. In contrast, I have a mahogany PRS with a maple cap and this is significantly warmer sounder (again, completely different pickups).
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
      Already having an SL2H that I love, the SL2H-MAH seems to be the way to go. However I've often heard that without a maple top to balance it out, mahogany can be too dark and muddy. This lead me to the SL2H-MAHQ.

I want that warm and full mahogany tone, but I still would like to avoid mud and be heard in the mix of the band. Will the SL2H-MAHQ balance it out or will the maple top cancel it out and not give that true mahogany tone? Or is the whole theory about full mahogany with no top being too dark just an exaggeration or the result poor EQing?
      I've got a Les Paul that's all mahogany, including the top, and it's not too dark at all. I've even got EMGs in it, the brighter 81 in the neck and the warmer 85 in the bridge, and it sounds just fine.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a soloist that is mahogany with a maple top, and one that is solid mahogany. Both have a JB in them. The all mahogany one definitely isn't muddy, and it cuts through the mix nicely. The one with the maple top might be a tad brighter, but I love the sound of both.

I was wondering the same thing when I bought the solid mahogany one, but mud is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
          I've got a soloist that is mahogany with a maple top, and one that is solid mahogany. Both have a JB in them. The all mahogany one definitely isn't muddy, and it cuts through the mix nicely. The one with the maple top might be a tad brighter, but I love the sound of both.

I was wondering the same thing when I bought the solid mahogany one, but mud is not an issue.
          Thanks. It's nice to get an opinion from someone who has both. Think I'm gonna go with full mahogany but I'm prone to changing my mind.

Comment

Both SL2H MAH and MAH Q have maple tops. THe only difference is that one is flamed, the other quilted.
            What do you mean, "I don't believe in God"? I talk to him every day.

Comment

Originally posted by SLY View Post
              Both SL2H MAH and MAH Q have maple tops. THe only difference is that one is flamed, the other quilted.
              +1. The tone will pretty much be the same between these two models. The only difference is the look of flamed maple vs. quilted maple tops.

Also, I would strongly suggest you look before you buy. Don't just order one blind. I've seen some pretty crummy-looking quilt-tops being used on production models the last few years. Even some of the flame-tops have been lame, although that's less frequent.

Comment

Actually, the 1/8' thick maple top used in these guitars are only there for cosmetical purposes. It will have almost no impact on brightness. The Archtops like the SLAT run feature a 3/4' maple top that definitely change the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
                  Thanks. It's nice to get an opinion from someone who has both. Think I'm gonna go with full mahogany but I'm prone to changing my mind.
                  I'm not sure if Jackson ever had a production model solid mahogany standard soloist. That one I have is a custom shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedisdead View Post
                    Actually, the 1/8' thick maple top used in these guitars are only there for cosmetical purposes. It will have almost no impact on brightness. The Archtops like the SLAT run feature a 3/4' maple top that definitely change the tone.
                    Sorry, but this is a common misperception. A 1/8th maple cap is definitely thick enough to impact a guitar's tone. It's not just a cosmetic appearance thing. I can certainly notice a difference between my capped and non-capped mahogany guitars. 3/4" capped archtops have a thicker body overall, the difference mainly being the larger maple cap. So, yes, of course 3/4" has a bigger impact on tone. But 1/8th is most definitely not nearly "toneless". More subtle, yes, but still fairly significant.

I also think many people tend to confuse the thinner maple caps used on the "standard" USA select models as 1/8th, too. They're not, these are much thinner with marginal impact on tone. (Remember, these are already-brighter non-mahogany models - maple necks w/alder body wings.) Only PC1s and SL2H-MAH models have 1/8th caps.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      I also think many people tend to confuse the thinner maple caps used on the "standard" USA select models as 1/8th, too. They're not, these are much thinner with marginal impact on tone. (Remember, these are already-brighter non-mahogany models - maple necks w/alder body wings.) Only PC1s and SL2H-MAH models have 1/8th caps.
                      I can't assure that all the USA Select trans guitars have 1/8" maple top, but my trans KE2 has a 3mm top for sure (1/8" = 3.125mm)

Comment

Working...
                      X