No announcement yet.

How sexy is this Custom Shop KV2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, no. Seems like a mishmash of odd specs too (nut width is smaller than standard, and the neck backshape is an oddball, love/hate shape). I think that if I were to build the same guitar with the same wood and color, I would have matched the headstock to the color of the wings. It’s odd to me that it is natural. Personally, I wish they’d stop the MOP and abalone (I really hate abalone!) overlay logos, or at least clean them up so the letters look more crisp.

Not crazy about the fretboard as it is, although it’ll darken with age, but this is huge a waste of Koa (regarding the wings). Personally, I would have chosen mahogany or something more common, especially since the wood is being covered on the face and back with maple. IMO, if you’re going to go to the expense of using Koa, it’s best served uncovered. I also don’t care for the gold hardware; IMO, it looks gaudy. As mentioned, the knob is a silly choice, and what’s the mystery cavity on the back?
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      and what’s the mystery cavity on the back?
      That's where the flux capacitor goes!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Boy View Post
        +1000
        I like no inlays, but only on ebony. Looks hideous on rosewood or in this case, "Kingswood".

Comment

It would look way better as a stringthrough/tom. I don't mind the Gibson style speed knob or anything else, but the Floyd doesn't look right to me.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

That is what I like to call a "coffee table" guitar.

Comment

Maybe that extra cavity is to access the wiring for the jack? :dunno:

Comment

Oh, could be! Seems unnecessary, tho.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I love the no-inlays like this one. And the creme binding on natural wood looks amazing.

Sharkies are amazing, but on this guitar would have looked incredibly stupid.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I really like ... no maybe like....yeah like....I don't know? It confuses me but almost looks good. Although at $5100 I would have to have absolutely no doubts about the look, sound, or feel of the guitar. Overall, I'd pass.

Comment

Like:
                      -Floyded (stringthrough is getting old)
                      -SLS headstock
                      -Color scheme
                      -Nut width

Don't like:
                      -1 hum
                      -Covered koa front AND back (maple cap on the back will have no tonal influence)
                      -trussrod cover (should have been maple to contrast with the kingswood stripe)
                      -hard V neck profile (shoulda been round, San Dimas-style)
                      -giant jack-wiring cover (couldn't they do a narrow or LP-style round?)
                      -San Dimas cavity route (for just one knob and pickup, they coulda done a strip like on the WarAngel, especially since the jack is on top)
                      -birdseye (I've found it to be tonally dead, or at least darker than it should be for maple)

On the fence with the fretboard. I'd have gone with maple with ebony sharkeye inlays with abalone centers. Ebony boards are seriously getting cliche`, but this is not a guitar that needs rosewood. You don't want the softer, darker tone of rosewood here, you want it to scream.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sexy? No. But if you like it, see signature
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I think the fact they used the 1 & 5/8" nut is because the Floyd Rose Pro they decided to put on there has narrower string spacing than a regular OFR. I still don't like the way they do their multi-piece necks so wide. I'm used to it being the same width through the body like Carvin.
                          349_cy_4.jpg
                          349_349_CIMG00021_1_6.jpg

Comment

If Karl Sanders wore a suit to work, this is the guitar he would jam on at the classier events.

EDIT: I love that 7 of yours, toejam.. it's definitely one of the best 727's I've seen.
                            "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

Thanks. I ordered it in January 2011 and got it 9 weeks later. I will definitely order another Carvin again.

Comment

The turn around was that​ quick? That is certainly compelling.
                                "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

Working...
                                X