Picking up an RR1T today, but have some ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up an RR1T today, but have some ?'s

Hey dudes, I may be picking up an RR1T today. I've always wanted one but have never had the opportunity to own one. I've played standard RR1's with floyds for most of my music career. Am I going to be noticing any differences between the two besides not having a floyd? I will be switching back and forth between RR1's. So I'm most concerned about how easy that will be in terms of them feeling different. Some insight would be greatly Appreciated.

Neck angle will be a few degrees more with the RR1T, because the bridge sits higher off the body. This of course also increases the distance between the strings and the face of the guitar.

FWIW my RR1T is far more comfortable for me to play than my RR1. I like the extra string height I guess.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

RR1T bridge will sit about the same as a non-recessed Floyd. Production RR1's were all recessed, I believe. A number of older and custom Rhoads had top mount Floyds though.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

looks like the deal I had may fall through with the rr1t.... My second option is the matt tuck sig, but I am a bit curious about overall quality of the matt sig vs RR1's. they sure do look amazing. Anyone have experience with them?

Comment

The tuck sigs were built in Japan I believe. Quality would be on par with an RR5, with slightly different specs.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've seen them live about 4 times, looks like he uses the actual japanese model live and not a custom shop variant... WOuld you say that I would be happy with one of these, knowing that I've owned many USA jacksons, or do you feel like it will leave me wanting "more" if you know what I mean.
            Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            The tuck sigs were built in Japan I believe. Quality would be on par with an RR5, with slightly different specs.

Comment

The USA's will have better fretwork and finish quality generally but there isn't anything wrong with the Japanese models if you like the specced components. A level/crown/polish by a local tech will take care of any fretwork issues and get them on par. I don't know the Tuck specs offhand but if it's ebony FB, they always seemed to use good ebony for the Japanese ones, so wood shouldn't be an issue.

RR1T's generally kick all kinds of ass though. I'm very biased because mine is my soul mate guitar.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

its good to know. I may wait it out for the right rr1t to pop up then. especially when you find the rr1t's used for just a few hundred more... almost a no brainer.
                Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                The USA's will have better fretwork and finish quality generally but there isn't anything wrong with the Japanese models if you like the specced components. A level/crown/polish by a local tech will take care of any fretwork issues and get them on par. I don't know the Tuck specs offhand but if it's ebony FB, they always seemed to use good ebony for the Japanese ones, so wood shouldn't be an issue.

RR1T's generally kick all kinds of ass though. I'm very biased because mine is my soul mate guitar.

Comment

I've found that if you have two identical guitars, one with a fixed bridge and one with an OFR, setup with the same action, the fixed bridge guitar strings have a slightly tighter feel to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    I've found that if you have two identical guitars, one with a fixed bridge and one with an OFR, setup with the same action, the fixed bridge guitar strings have a slightly tighter feel to them.
                    Makes sense, you don't have the give of the trem springs when you are bending and stuff.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The strings do sit higher from the body, but for me I don't think it affects how I play. I prefer my guitars to have a Floyd because I'm so used to compensating for the trem to do bends.

The Matt Tuck is probably on par with the Kevin Bond sig which is pretty awesome. The Matt Tuck doesn't look like it has neck binding, or maybe it's just black and hard to see? I like that it comes with Sperzels.

Comment

Working...
                      X