No announcement yet.

Buying Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually buy used, unless I'm ordering something special, or I don't really care too much about the price. I've gotten Charvel Pro Mods (USA & Jap) both new and used the the quality is consistent for both (the jap models might be a tad better, fyi). I've scored some great deals on a PC1 and a Legacy Star (they were both used and under $1k). I've gotten many things new and used and I know what brands make a consistent product and what brands do not. I steer away from Ibanez and Gibson for this reason as quality is all over the map. Unless I play it in my hands , I can't trust a seller's description. Jackson/ Charvel seems to have very good QC, so buying new or used is never an issue.

As for your soloist search, I'm not of much help as I never liked the neck profile on the Soloists/ RR guitars. If you don't mind black, you can usually find a black soloist for about a grand on Ebay or in a forum ad.

Comment

Guitars are like houses. The good ones are the used ones as they have no problems or have had all the problems ironed out of them, plus they are worn in. If they have never been gigged, often owners are so anal about their care they are much better nick than new shop floor models. Jumbo frets last an extra long time, but you can always get a refret. If a neck is gonna warp or a headstock delaminate excessively, or it is gonna have paint of other issues, it would have happened by now.

But I am always wary of brand new used guitars though. I know sellers change their minds or overstretch themselves or unexpectantly have babies and stuff, but why sell a brand new guitar...? PLus they are still too expensive.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

That trans blue ebay post was delicious.
        "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

Originally posted by jw3571 View Post
          Also, Is there any reason to avoid the whammy bar?.
          I'd go without a Floyd if you like to switch tunings often. You won't be able to do that with a Floyd between songs or something.
          The springs on the rear need to be adjusted and you most likely will have to tune a couple of times before you're ready to go.
          That would be a reason.
          Many prefer the more direct (and stiffer) feel and string tension of a non floyded guitar (although you can adjust that) and there's an endless discussion about tone and sustain, but's that's just preferences IMO...
          Some people say you can't do double-stops with a floyd, but you can. Just needs some time getting used to.
          If you like divebombs and all this stuff, go with a floyd. Most of my guitars have Floyds, coz I like that stuff...
          They work great an stay in tune, nothing wrong with a Floyd.

For the new/used matter:
          If you find a used one in good shape that's close to what you'd order new, go for it.
          A good guitar won't be much impressed by a couple of years of useage, but have a look at it in person if you can.
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

As with anything, there's always a risk buying used but a good eye and doing your research before you go look can land you a real winner. To me the savings of buying used definitely offsets the footwork involved to ensure you get not only what you're after but making sure you're not buying someone else's lemon. Often times though even if there is a problem with it, I've seen most issues, aside from severe neck problems, resolved very easily with a lil help from the guys and gals here in the forum. As far as a FR goes, that will have to be a choice you decide. As mentioned above you won't be doing fast tuning changes with a FR but if you have multiple guitars and can just switch out to another to get the tuning you need then it's not really a problem. If you don't have the massive collection that some on here do and use different tunings you may want to steer clear of the FR.
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I didn't realize it was a real pain to switch tunings with a floyd rose. I've never had one. I still may go for it though, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jw3571 View Post
                I didn't realize it was a real pain to switch tunings with a floyd rose. I've never had one. I still may go for it though, thanks.
                Many people use a tremel-no or generic lock to keep the trem from losing pitch if a string breaks or if they want to downtune.

Something as simple as this will fix that, and it costs less than $15 shipped usually.

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                X