This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for those new SKB Cases...

Given some bad experience with G&G cases and a Charvel order, I spec'd an SKB for a custom Kelly a couple of years ago. Although I think the G&Gs are generally better quality, IMHO they are much more prone to guitar damage while shipping. Unless, that is, you are lucky enough to have one of the form-fitting inserts specifically molded to your guitar body shape. So I spec'd the SKB, hoping it would be less of a risk while the guitar was shipped from the custom shop to my dealer, then dealer to me.

When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was one of the then-recently released newer SKB style cases. Supposedly TSA-proofed and higher quality than their predecessors. And, generally speaking, I believe they are. However, after simply sitting down in my basement for a few months (just the case, no guitar in it), I found this...

The case handle was snapped on both sides. The handle is now utterly useless. Mind you, the case was just leaning against a wall in the basement. No pressure on it whatsoever. Nothing against the handle itself. I can only assume the molded plastic handle was damaged before the guitar arrived, and the crack simply spread with time until ultimately snapping clean across on both sides. Then again, the case was boxed for shipping, and there was no evidence of damage to the box or guitar when it arrived.

Pretty disappointing. I wonder if SKB will replace it for me?
    Last edited by shreddermon; 09-15-2012, 03:25 PM.

Talk to Jackson Pat - if that was a custom guitar, I'd have thought they'd want to do right but I'm not 100% on what the warranty covers.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Can't realy fault Jackson for this. Although I suppose the warranty might cover the case, too.

I've got a request into SKB directly already. Let's see how that plays out first. If no success there, I'll contact Jackson.

Comment

Damn man, sorry to see that! Ive been beating the snot out of 2 of my newer style V SKB cases and wow, these things are TOUGH! Aside from a few scuffs they still look damn near new.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I'm not sure if SKB directly handles warranty for Jackson cases. Call them.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

SKB Cases is a manufacturer dedicated to travel, storage, and shipping protection needs for music, pro audio, sporting goods and industrial applications including government and military contract fulfillment.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That is pretty odd. I be it had a small crack in the handle before Jackson ever put, he guitar in the case.
              My Toys:
              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
              '94 Dinky HX in Black
              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

My G&C Charvel Star case has blown a couple latches already....good thing I have two.

Comment

Hmm. That's really too bad. They looked much sturdier than the other Jackson cases. I got my Jackson in one and it arrived just fine, and after I sold it, I shipped it out across the country and it arrived fine as well. Hopefully you just got one that a manufacturing issue, and hopefully everything gets sorted for you!!

Comment

I feel your pain. My cases spend 99% of the time in the closet. Recently an Ibanez prestige case has busted a latch and an ESP case has torn and I have no idea why.

Comment

Thats not good. Thats an expensive case to replace. My PC-1 came with one. I've been lugging it around a lot lately. So far it seems fine. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the size. These cases are bulky!!!
                      ---RCM78
                      >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Comment

Update: SKB is sending me a new handle for the case.

Comment

Bravo!
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Nice!!!
                            ---RCM78
                            >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Comment

Update #2: so the new handle arrived. Props to SKB for customer service. However, that's where the good news ends.

SKB's mounting directions were "just remove the lining and unscrew the old handle mounts, then replace with the new ones.". Sounds simple enough, right? Well wrong. The lining doesn't just pop out. It's slathered in glue, binding it to the case interior. So, effectively, there was no way to pull it out without a lot of effort and thereby breaking the styrofoam under the case fur.

From there, it gets even worse. I unscrew the old handle mounts, and it quickly becomes apparent why this broke in the first place. They drilled the screw mounting holes slightly off, in the wrong place. So the metal screws are going in one slightly askew direction, and the plastic mounting handles are going in another. Can you screw these pieces together? Sure, with some wedging. But this is obviously putting pressure on the plastic mounts, and the reason why they broke over time completely on their own. And I can totally see similar issues happening with the plastic case latches. Same issues, same cheesy molded plastic that will easily break with pressure and time. I'm 99% sure the new handle will break on its own again in a few months.

So did the replacement handle work? Yes. But these new SKB cases pretty much blow. The exterior shell is definitely better than the older SKB's thinner version. And the case lining is good, about the same as before. But the new plastic handles and latches are woefully inferior to the old metal ones. They'll all be much more prone to breaking with time. Combine poor assembly and cheesy hardware, and I can easily see many unhappy customers (and possibly damaged guitars) in the not so distant future.

Bottom line: I'll be replacing this with a G&G case sometime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X