Finally ripped the sustainer out of my PC-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally ripped the sustainer out of my PC-1

We've all seen the threads on here about the sustainer loading down the bridge pickup, killing some of it's output, and rolling off the highs. I replaced the stock Super 3 with a Suhr Aldrich. Nice improvement but after a while the fuzzyness lying under the tone bothered me. So I wired the Aldrich directly to the volume and tone knob, completely disconnected the sustainer and A/B'd it against my other guitars. Very noticeable improvement in clarity, and output. I also noticed an increase in upper mids and highs... This is the clincher!!! The sustainer had to come out...

Here's the plan:
    Volume and Tone knob
    5 Position Selector switch
    Blower switch DPDT Mini Toggle
    Kill Switch DPDT Mini Toggle
    Suhr Aldrich in the Bridge
    DiMarzio HS-2 in the Middle
    DiMarzio BC-1 in the Neck
    Dead pot in the last open hole

If I dont like the Aldrich after it's all said and done a DiMarzio AT-1 is going in...
    My friend at DiMarzio was kind enough to send me a diagram to make it all work. Parts are on order. I'll keep anyone interested informed.

My mission here is consistency across four of my guitars that I use live. The benchmark are my two Peavey Wolfgangs. I was able to get My Hamer Diablo very close to the Wolfies with a Tone Zone and Liquifier combo. I'm hoping the Jackson is closer with the BC-1 neck, The Aldrich was close before I removed the sustainer. The sustainer was unusable as a pickup...
    ---RCM78
    >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Thats kinda surprising, I never really noticed a lack of output on my PC1, and Im an output stickler. Then again I expected it to be more dark sounding because of the mahogany body which I usually dont like either, but it isnt. Either way, it is pretty useless as a pickup itself, just not enough output for a neck pup if youre used to hums.

Either way. if you want to sell the sustainer let me know!! I want to put one in one of my Rhoads.
    Last edited by RobRR; 09-20-2012, 07:30 AM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

i did that to my PC-1 many years ago and have NEVER looked back!!! best choice i ever made. i wired mine as an H-S with a dummy pickup in the middle:

SD JB in the bridge
      dummy coil (unwired and lowered flush with the body)
      DiMarzio HS-3 in the neck

those pickups are wired to a 3-way tele switch and the volume pot. i am not using the other two pots. they are just there to fill the holes. now my PC-1 is a raw sounding rock guitar....nice and thick on the bridge pickup, cutting and smooth on the neck pickup. i can go from a modern hard rock sound to a hendrixy lead tone with the flick of a switch!!

good call!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Now sell me the sustainer.
        I need a replacement board bad.
        -Rick

Comment

" Either way, it is pretty useless as a pickup itself, just not enough output for a neck pup if youre used to hums. (referring to the sustainiac pickup)"

actually, you can wire it up, switch, to a low output or high output. I have done so and there is a significant difference in output, being the hotter to keep up / in balance with a J/B, etc.

J
          >^v^<

Comment

I dont think I'm going to sell the Sustainer. Probably a good idea to keep it for resale value even though I keep stuff forever... I have no idea what it's worth anyway.

Removing the sustainer lightened the guitar about a pound...
            ---RCM78

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
              " Either way, it is pretty useless as a pickup itself, just not enough output for a neck pup if youre used to hums. (referring to the sustainiac pickup)"

actually, you can wire it up, switch, to a low output or high output. I have done so and there is a significant difference in output, being the hotter to keep up / in balance with a J/B, etc.

J
              Really? Do tell! Is it configured factory?
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

middle, right of page, violet / white wire, switch. I used a push pull pot, it works.
                http://www.sustainiac.com/shred-pushpulls.pdf
                >^v^<

Comment

But the PC1 doesnt use the Sustainiac system, only the DK2S does... Though I will use that on my DK2S though, so thanks!

Comment

Update:
                    The guitar is all done. I have to say, the blower switch is a pretty cool option. I can hear a slight difference in the highs with the volume and tone bypassed. Taking out the sustainer really opened up the guitar. It always felt like something was being held back before.

I'm really happy with it now. I've been through a lot with this guitar and finally I'll start playing it live. Gonna use it tomorrow night.

The DiMarzio BC-1 in the neck sounds nice and thick. The lead tone is really fluid like a hot humbucker, but still has that clarity you get with a singlecoil. Really cool pickup!!!

The set up is:
                    Suhr Aldrich Bridge
                    DiMarzio HS2 Middle
                    DiMarzio BC-1 Neck
                    5 position selector switch
                    Volume and Tone
                    Blower Switch DPDT On/On mini switch. Normal position is up, all controls work normally. Throw the switch down (toward the back of the guitar) and the Bridge pickup is routed straight to the output jack bypassing the Selector, Volume and Tone knobs.
                    Kill Switch DPDT On/On mini switch. Normal position is up, guitar is on. Throw the switch down (toward the back of the guitar) and the guitar shuts off.

I'd be glad to share the wiring diagram but I cant post attachments for some reason...
                    ---RCM78

Comment

Originally posted by RCM78 View Post
                      Update:
                      The guitar is all done. I have to say, the blower switch is a pretty cool option. I can hear a slight difference in the highs with the volume and tone bypassed. Taking out the sustainer really opened up the guitar. It always felt like something was being held back before.

I'm really happy with it now. I've been through a lot with this guitar and finally I'll start playing it live. Gonna use it tomorrow night.

The DiMarzio BC-1 in the neck sounds nice and thick. The lead tone is really fluid like a hot humbucker, but still has that clarity you get with a singlecoil. Really cool pickup!!!

The set up is:
                      Suhr Aldrich Bridge
                      DiMarzio HS2 Middle
                      DiMarzio BC-1 Neck
                      5 position selector switch
                      Volume and Tone
                      Blower Switch DPDT On/On mini switch. Normal position is up, all controls work normally. Throw the switch down (toward the back of the guitar) and the Bridge pickup is routed straight to the output jack bypassing the Selector, Volume and Tone knobs.
                      Kill Switch DPDT On/On mini switch. Normal position is up, guitar is on. Throw the switch down (toward the back of the guitar) and the guitar shuts off.

I'd be glad to share the wiring diagram but I cant post attachments for some reason...
                      What is a blower switch?

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                        What is a blower switch?
                        It's a simple mini switch that selects the bridge pickup no matter what the pickup selector switch is set at and sends the signal directly to the output jack bypassing the volume and tone controls. Suhr calls it a Blower Switch. Fender calls it a passing lane switch.
                        ---RCM78

Comment

Working...
                        X