Fret size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret size

Quick question for anybody who might know: I have a jakson elite fsr and its supposed to have jumbo frets. Was thinking of buying a KV2 and saw they're advertised to have mediums. Now I use thick strings (low string is a 65 tuned to Bb). What will the difference be between medium and jumbo? Does the kv2 really have mediums? I read somewhere that some people call the frets "mediums" when in reality they are "medium jumbo." Anyway, I'm lost....

You probably won't notice any difference. It refers to actual metal frets themselves and the differences are pretty tiny.

Comment

I doubt you will feel a difference, it really comes down to being able to recrown them when they wear out. With heavy strings, I would think it would be more difficult to bottom out to the fingerboard on a lower fret wire. But I may be wrong.

Here is a link to where you can see the differences in the sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannibal Corpse View Post
        Quick question for anybody who might know: I have a jakson elite fsr and its supposed to have jumbo frets. Was thinking of buying a KV2 and saw they're advertised to have mediums. Now I use thick strings (low string is a 65 tuned to Bb). What will the difference be between medium and jumbo? Does the kv2 really have mediums? I read somewhere that some people call the frets "mediums" when in reality they are "medium jumbo." Anyway, I'm lost....
        You're right: KV2s have medium jumbos a la Mustaine. They're thinner than the ones on your MIJ, but still tall. At least for me, the difference is readily noticeable when playing, so although I like both, you should probably play before you buy.

Comment

It's not just the size. Yes, the medium jumbos on KVs are thinner. But they are also more squarely-shaped. I have found them very distracting when playing, definitely an acquired taste. And I could never seem to acquire it. LOL. Going up the neck always felt like dragging a board while running through train tracks. LOL. "Clack, clack, clack, clack."

Definitely try before you buy. I'll take regular jumbos any day of the week.

Comment

Thanks for the great replies. Very helpful, thank you. Which king v models have the jumbos? I really love the neck, frets, radius, everything on my elite and want to find another jackson like it, but I can't seem to find any more elites, so I figured I'd look into the USA models.

Comment

Or RRs. I like them as well.

Comment

There is extra jumbo, there is jumbo and there is medium jumbo. (and a lot of other sizes)

Some people can't tell the difference. For me it's was a deal breaker. I would prefer traditional frets or jumbos... the medium's just don't do it for me personally.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Extra jumbo? Damn....

Comment

There are sites all over the net about fret wire size, this is just as good as any:

Comment

If you have a Guitar Center near you, go in a play a Fender Standard Strat, they have Medium Jumbos. Should get you an idea. The thing is there is a lot of guitars out there where it will say "Jumbos" or "Medium Jumbos" or "Extra Jumbos" but it's kind of convoluted, they may not be all the same actual size between one another between makers. Only real way to know is finding out exactly what wire they are built with, or to play the guitar and see if you like it.

Comment

Yeah I picked up a guitar last night with smaller frets, and for me, I could easily tell the difference but it did not affect my playing at all.i guess my decisions got a little easier.

Comment

I can't tell you about changing string gauge but what I will tell you is the KV2 is the last Jackson that I know of that has the "Speed Neck Profile" and the medium frets make it super easy to fly!
                          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I had a custom KV that had jumbo frets. That kinda ruined it for me. I bought a KV2 and just couldn't get over the frets. That's just me though.

Comment

The only frets i am really not a fan of is the triangle fret wire, it just has an odd feel when bending notes. Its not bad just odd. the only 2 guitars i spec'd had tall skinny 6105. i believe is pretty close to what jackson uses on the speed necks? IIRC jackson's medium jumbos are jumbo hieght, but skinnier, not the typical med. jumbo which has jumbo width but medium hieght.

Comment

Working...
                              X